time to harvest onions

• 6 Replies

jambop

time to harvest onions
« on: July 19, 2014, 08:29 »
We have a good growing climate for onions down here in France and my ones have got really quite big. The necks are just starting to get soft and fold over an I lift them now and dry them off? The ground about them has become quite weedy and I would like to clear it before it sets seed, lifting the onions would let me get that done and the ground manured for next seasons crop.

Christine

Re: time to harvest onions
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 08:41 »
That's about the time that I lift mine and put them somewhere else to dry in the sunshine ....

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 14:24 »
This year I am going to let them die down completely. Last year I had a lot of mould at the neck and lost nearly a quarter of the crop.  My onions are still standing and growing and will take another month, before I consider harvesting.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 18:42 »
I have onions four inches in diameter so they are plenty big enough just that they grow much quicker out here in France. I will lift mine on Monday morning and get them dried out for storage. I have some cracking Spanish onions I grew from seed again four inches across and lovely round onions to boot. Have another onion called white Ebenezer looks a cracking onion. I also have an onion that I don't think you can get in the UK it is native to this region called onion Trebons named after the small town in the foothills of the Pyrenees grows like a long shallot and can be stored or used green very very sweet  they make an omelette with it here again looking good but need a bit longer grown from seed.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 11:08 »
This year I am going to let them die down completely. Last year I had a lot of mould at the neck and lost nearly a quarter of the crop.  My onions are still standing and growing and will take another month, before I consider harvesting.
In previous years, I think I have harvested mine too soon, because last year I left them another month and had hardly any neck mould.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snow white

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 12:23 »
I had to harvest.  The tops shrivelled up.  Might be disaster year for them.

Steveharford

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 13:39 »
My autumn sets were ready a month ago. They just ran out of steam and started yellowing up. I think they had such a good run they were ready early. Now nicely ripened and stored in nets. Unlike my spring down seed. Looks like they are suffering from some sort of rot as the tops of the leaves has blackened and shrivelled. Might have to scrap them.

xx
How do you know when it's time to harvest Red Onions

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 15:59
by sunshineband
xx
Harvest time!

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 22:07
by MoreWhisky
xx
Spuds at harvest time

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2007, 17:29
by milkman
xx
Pumpkin harvest time...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 07, 2015, 17:55
by Growster...

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 35 queries.