courgettes please help & advise me

• 6 Replies

lyndonedwards

courgettes please help & advise me
« on: July 02, 2023, 10:26 »
hello. good morrow everyone. i  do hope all your gardens grow.in an English country garden .so please feel free to sing a along ......all together now

How many kinds of sweet flowers grow
In an English country garden?
We'll tell you now of some that we know
Those we miss you'll surely pardon
Daffodils, heart's ease and flox
Meadowsweet and lady smocks
Gentain, lupine and tall hollihocks
Roses, foxgloves, snowdrops, blue forget-me-nots
In an English country garden.

i have sown courgettes seeds in 4 x 45 litres tubs, sadly my gardens are full .so though in a positive way. i plant some, all in landscape trees tubs, form a car boot . well crocks rotted  beech tree leaves, plus home harvested soil sieved..the seeds took..please forgive my ignorance i,m to sure on how to promote the best growth.   i have cut some leafs of to get the now diminishing sunshine on the stems, but over night Thursday last week an abundance of flowers opened large ! to my delight.. i have installed canes the sun hits the kitchen garden wall. also allowing some protection. Pinterest shows lots of photos of supporting the stems etc. but its the leafs . do i or don't i trim some leaves to let the sun on the flowers. please would anybody be able to advise. thank you so much. wind showers sun in Lancashire.   happy sunday gardening.
thumbnail_20230628_112148.jpg

snowdrops

Re: courgettes please help & advise me
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 11:28 »
Hi there, it looks from the photo that you have more than 1 courgette plant in those flower buckets, I think that’s a bit ambitious as they are hungry plants, so you might wish to take some out leaving just 1 plant per pot. As for leaves I never take any off unless they show signs of dying off, they need the leaves to photosynthesise to feed the plant. Make a tripod of canes in each plot & train the leading stem around tge canes if you can,but not all courgette plants trail
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

lyndonedwards

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 12:39 »
hello.could not see your name, sorry i'm finding it difficult to circumnavigate on this site, so i may have pressed wrong key already. thank you for the reply. Yes i know i thought a few weeks ago ,As  i read one of john messages . that some one on his allotment sowed so many he never did it again. ,again please for give my lack of knowledge. , eyesight  specs etc. i put approx 4 or 5 in each large tub . possibly considering the ' unsuccessful rate would be high.' !!.. i do consider that was my reason for cutting some leaves of plus what i had read & viewed on Pinterest . which is a very quick site for viewing photos from al over the world. . so  on your basis if i leave the current number they wont get much room to grow. but each tub does have 5 tall canes with these great metal circle wire frame....
s thus allowing you to train tie what ever plant life of foliage etc. basically i have as you sat put to many in. hence cutting some leaves, thanks i do understand now my blunders. , thank you so much for coming to my aid. . i take some more photos and send them to show you. in the mean time thanks so much. so pleased i have had a reply advice. have a nice sunday.  :D
thumbnail_20230702_115855.jpg
thumbnail_20230702_115850.jpg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 14:10 »
I am growing courgettes in 10-gallon nursery containers for trees, I grew 3 plants per pot.  My courgettes are nearly done fruiting (note that my geography is the State of Georgia, in the United States, that makes a difference).  I will probably sow seeds for new plants in early-mid August for a second crop.

I would not trim any leaves except leaves that are yellowing due to age or disease.  The leaves are the 'solar panels' that feed your plant. The stems and flowers need the sun far less than the leaves! 

I see mostly male flowers in your pictures (long stems, usually start growing on the plants first).  Female flowers start appearing later, and the base of the flower is a small version of the fruit (which will fill out if the flower is pollinated), on a short stem.  Is it possible that you don't have any female flowers yet?  That would explain the lack of fruit.

Your plants are young and still small, so do allow some time for them to grow.  Courgettes are heavy feeders, so I would keep up with providing regular soil nutrition to your plants.  I provide liquid feed at the recommended strength, it is a balanced N-P-K fertilizer.  Other members here might recommend a different N-P-K balance, nothing wrong with that.  I provide that every other week, more after prolonged heavy rain events.

You can stake the plants, but you can also let the plants sprawl out of the pot onto the ground.  That is what I do.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 14:23 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

lyndonedwards

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 12:36 »
hello & a good morning  'subversive' to you in Georgia.. i hope your well & enjoying good weather to day. apart form a place called Ringgold. very where there loks like a nice day.. lucky you.
 i have chosen to fill our car with bags of ever green tree clippings .no good for composting. for my sins i have got well truly soaked, however a man was throwing away a very decent large rain harvest water barrel with lid plus outlet pipe. so i came home with it .along with potato milk x 3 cartons all plant based produced milk, at a reduced price of 10 pence per carton  so i.m a happy green recycling machine today,
i would like to extend my thanks to you for your time effort help. your have sent me.sorry for the delay in replying.  .. which to me is great help as my learning curve growing.
with our rain every day this week i'm amazed thrilled they are in flower.i have noticed some flower heads had dropped off last night . i wonder if this is as the heavy deluge we have had.    i must say your lucky to have the advantage to do 2 crops .

we have lived here for approx 37 years. always have at least 5 nests of wasps + bees nest in either kitchen roof and main roof . unless work is being carried out ,or when 2 sons were very young  i never tired to remove . so i do hope the flowers get pollinated.  teh sun is just coming out now as i wrote this, its 12,28pm as we say here 'he sun is over the yard arm' i did tie a couple of the plant stems to canes last night to let air space get between some plants.  i will feed possibly on a  day with no heavy rain thanks you for the advice . have a nice comfortable day in which ever region of Georgia you reside in ,as Atlanta, Augusta and Columbus has some cloud . my kitten ODIN is not allowed out yet but sends his regards
thumbnail_20230508_142747.jpg
thumbnail_20230507_165510.jpg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 14:16 »
hello & a good morning  'subversive' to you in Georgia.. i hope your well & enjoying good weather to day. apart form a place called Ringgold. very where there loks like a nice day.. lucky you.
 i have chosen to fill our car with bags of ever green tree clippings .no good for composting. for my sins i have got well truly soaked, however a man was throwing away a very decent large rain harvest water barrel with lid plus outlet pipe. so i came home with it .along with potato milk x 3 cartons all plant based produced milk, at a reduced price of 10 pence per carton  so i.m a happy green recycling machine today,
i would like to extend my thanks to you for your time effort help. your have sent me.sorry for the delay in replying.  .. which to me is great help as my learning curve growing.
with our rain every day this week i'm amazed thrilled they are in flower.i have noticed some flower heads had dropped off last night . i wonder if this is as the heavy deluge we have had.    i must say your lucky to have the advantage to do 2 crops .

we have lived here for approx 37 years. always have at least 5 nests of wasps + bees nest in either kitchen roof and main roof . unless work is being carried out ,or when 2 sons were very young  i never tired to remove . so i do hope the flowers get pollinated.  teh sun is just coming out now as i wrote this, its 12,28pm as we say here 'he sun is over the yard arm' i did tie a couple of the plant stems to canes last night to let air space get between some plants.  i will feed possibly on a  day with no heavy rain thanks you for the advice . have a nice comfortable day in which ever region of Georgia you reside in ,as Atlanta, Augusta and Columbus has some cloud . my kitten ODIN is not allowed out yet but sends his regards

Good morning Lyndon.  I live in Athens, Georgia, which is east-northeast of the center of Atlanta (about 100 km ENE as the crow flies).  I have been to a place you mentioned, Ringgold, including trips to study the geology and paleontology there.  At a spot called Ringgold Gap, there is a place where Interstate Highway I-75 goes through a large ridge, and there are all sorts of shales, sandstones and limestones from the Ordovician and Silurian periods, with many marine fossils.  Quite by accident, while studying the geology, I also found a nice Native American stone spear point there in the road cut, most likely fallen from the ridge above! 

I enjoyed the pictures of Odin. On Allotment Garden, there is also a part of the forum (Pet Gallery) where members usually post pictures of pets. It is a good place to get to know members through the animals in their families.  Here are links to some pictures of my son's cat, Marshal:

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=20757.msg1583617#msg1583617

https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=20757.msg1584727#msg1584727

and our dog Murray:
https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=20757.msg1537271#msg1537271
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 21:59 by Subversive_plot »

lyndonedwards

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 09:42 »
Hello. good morning to you.

a dank dismal wet day here in northwest England. but England lioness have just scored  v Denmark,  had terrible problems with out internet.

Firm called Bt in England .. not helpful. so i have not been able to see your reply. thank you. i will write back soon. in between my garden chores. thank you. kind regards Lyndon & Odin. whom sadly is ill . he has just had his op ,

xx
can someone please advise me?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 29, 2011, 17:48
by Yorkie
xx
DD please can I have your advise ???

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 18:14
by flowergirl
xx
i am new and could do with a bit of advise please

Started by Noreen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 19:42
by Noreen
xx
Can anyone advise please?

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 06:56
by JulesJ

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 38 queries.