Green Poo??!!!

• 22 Replies

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
Green Poo??!!!
« on: August 10, 2011, 18:32 »
Hi all

I did try to add this to the chicken poo sticky but could not seem to add it.

Sorry aunty!

Is a bright green poo normal, I have one girl that is pooping green toxic coloured stull normal in form and no offensive odour.

I think one of the hens is in a moult so has therefore gone off the lay but I cannot think of any more reasons as to why this would occur

Thank you poop fans out there for your comments in advance

BRoody ::) ::) :D
if wishes were changes.......

uktitan

Re: Green Poo??!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 18:46 »
Wow Green Toxic Poo! are you sure it's not radioactive  :D
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 18:48 »
I think I will invest in a decontamination suit :D :D

uktitan

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 19:03 »
in all seriousness though, green Poo can be Stomach Bile, a Sign of liver failure, or it could be down to, too much Veg. i know when my girls eat to much kale their poo goes green lol.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 22:39 »
Yes when my girls eat more grass than usual they have grass-green poo... or maybe a little darker than grass-green.  A bright green toxic poo sounds like it could be bile though.  Does she do it at any particular time of the day or just (for example) the first poo in the morning?

At this stage I would suggest you watch her for any other signs of illness, watch to see that she is eating normally, and (of course) make sure she has access to plenty of fresh water.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:16 »
Hi thanks for the info on the green poo! It would be hard to tell which girl out of the four i have is the culprit all I can say all of them seem fine and there has been no more since those few times,
I dont tend to give them too much greens as it makes them go sloppy it may be just grass but I will keep my eyes on them just in case

Thanks again

Broody ::)

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 13:09 »
I have now found the green poo culprit and wondered if anyone could shed any light on her health wise?

The green poo seems to be coming when she eats windfall apples, I think! She hasnt  layed an egg for about five weeks and she has had a moult

Where she sleeps her bedding ( i use woodshavings) is really wet exactly where she sleeps, I mean really wet, Ive never noticed it before with any of the other three girls.  Is this normal or should I be thinking something is wrong?

They were all wormed about two weeks ago and she is eating fine, I must mention she is a young girl coming up to one year old. A small hybrid breed name of which escapes me but bred for a blue egg and she is the rose variety. I dont know if thats at all relevant!!

She seems bright in every other way but something is niggling at me :blink: :blink: :blink:

Thank you for your time and advice in advance

Broody  :unsure:

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 20:31 »
No advice to give, I'm afraid.  I just wanted to wish you luck with your hen.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 22:30 »
I'm sure I read somewhere that apple seeds contain arsenic can anyone confirm this.

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 09:19 »
Morning all

Rose's green poo is everywhere this morning in long thin strands if that makes sense she has had no apples or green stuff so I can rule that out
The other gens have now started pecking at her and pushed her out of the edge if the coop

I am now sure there is something wrong although she is eating fine but drinking excessively any thoughts please

Thank you

Broody

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 09:37 »
I'm sure I read somewhere that apple seeds contain arsenic can anyone confirm this.

they contain a form of cyanide, but it is so minute that your chickens would have to eat nothing else but the pips for quite a long time for this to have any effect on them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 10:00 »
Morning all

Rose's green poo is everywhere this morning in long thin strands if that makes sense she has had no apples or green stuff so I can rule that out
The other gens have now started pecking at her and pushed her out of the edge if the coop

I am now sure there is something wrong although she is eating fine but drinking excessively any thoughts please

Thank you

Broody

Oh dear, that's not good.  I would isolate her immediately and if you can on a bank holiday weekend, find a vet who can see her ASAP.   Being bullied is the last thing she needs if she is ill.

You say she is eating, but are you sure she has been feeding normally?  Pick her up and check her weight and whether she is skinny.  Green pooh can be due to starvation as well - it's bile coming through on it's own. 

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 10:39 »
Will do , is there anything I can give her apart from her layers ie tuna or cat food
She is pale and still quite happy she is a Fenton blue breed so quite light any way
Thank you

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 10:40 »
when was she last wormed and what with?

feelingbroody

• Experienced Member
Re: Green Poo??!!! sick chook ??
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 15:16 »
Hi Joy

I am completely baffled as to know what to do  :wacko: :wacko:
I wormed them for 7 days starting 21 August until the 27th August with flubenvet, this green pooh has only started since she has been wormed. am I missing something, I am a novice keeper of only a year and a bit and this is the first time one of the girls have been sick or sorry

Rose has not layed for five weeks, her comb is pale, she eats normally however since worming she drinks a lot more having watched her in comparison to the others

She had her first moult also four weeks ago, she is not quite a year  old yet.

She has water with a vitamin iron tonic and ACV everyother day

In herself she seems perky enough but this green pooh is really puzzling me.and this wet bedding area where she sleeps I suppose if she is drinking more its got to come out- but is this normal

I have read on other websites that its a sign of liver failure and other diseases
which has confused me even more.

Ive hand fed her porridge and layers pellets mixed up today and also mixed corn and even some flakes of tuna which she gulped down.
This was away from the others as I have separated her as suggested, she seems however keen to get back to the others and its just one hen that picks on her but thats always been the case really.

Thanks all, I really would like to hear your thoughts
Broody

xx
Going green

Started by Moby1 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 12, 2007, 16:57
by Kazoo
xx
first green egg

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 14:52
by WG.
xx
very green poo

Started by cflossy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 12:51
by Aunt Sally
xx
A Blue/Green Egg

Started by chicken soup on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 11, 2008, 19:17
by westie

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 30 queries.