Apples - Red Pips and Red Flowers, Red Flesh, Red wood...the lot!

• 4 Replies

BSRobin

I have seedlings growing from a mysterious apple tree growing a few miles away from me. Today I opened up two small dropped apples and saw that amongst other mysterious things, the pips are red too. I've not seen this in all the pips I've managed to grow from this tree, up to now. The apple tree has red flesh, red wood and pure red flowers and must be thirty plus years old if a day. I've tried vegetative growing from twigs, but not succeeded so far, but have grown red leaf seedlings ... Well the majority are with some none red from its collection of pips. I've got a picture of the latest pips but the site says it's too large to upload...will email to anyone who can reduce or help... Can anyone assist with a suggestion, experiences....?  Thanks. Robin

Trikidiki

I've tried sending you a PM but it says you can't receive PMs.

I am playing around with lots of grafting of fruit trees at the moment and may be able to help you get a growing tree.

If you can cut some 10-12" lengths, about pencil thickness, of this years growth from the original tree. The best time to take the cuttings is after the tree has gone dormant (December would be good) and send them to me . I will try grafting them onto some rootstocks in the spring and will send you a grafted tree if I can get them to take.

BSRobin

Hello, thanks for the reply.

I'll take cuttings and be in touch...

Have you encountered anything like I describe before? Red everything? Unusual to say the least. The apples are a good flavour which helps!

Cheers

Edit to remove email address.   OP has 10 posts and can use pm system now
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:32 by New shoot »

Featherstone

This is probably the most useful site I have come across for red fleshed apples http://www.suttonelms.org.uk/apple52.html. Hope it helps

BSRobin

Thank you for the responses to my mysterious red apple theme. Although not the right time of year for starting off pips I have sown the three pips into a pot and put it in a warm spot on the back step, with fingers crossed one may at least germinate.  All the other apple pip seedling I have grown have been started in the greenhouse over winter spring. None have produced yet, but I only started three years ago.  I'm hoping some will be good enough to plant out and give at least decent flowers if not fruit. I know it's a lot to expect for these to come true so will settle for what I'm given.

The new red ones hopefully will do something, I'd settle for them taking to start with! Fruit can come later on, but I will cut scion wood for grafting as suggested. I've now switched on the PM options on my account!

XXx Robin

xx
apple pips

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2008, 22:50
by Trillium
xx
Leek pips.

Started by Clampit on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 22:26
by Motivator
xx
Translucent apple flesh

Started by Chuffy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 07:39
by gillie
clip
Lady christl purple flesh ?

Started by Jamboian on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2016, 16:38
by Goneterseed

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 30 queries.