Blood fish & bone, chicken pooh or both and combination crops

• 3 Replies

mrspodington

Hi all after a couple of years sucsesfully  ( semi sucseful ) growing in containers I have finally moved to a house with a large border in the back garden.

Which is best to use to enrich the soil as I'm not lucky enough to have my own compost, Blood fish & bone or chicken pellets or can I use both ?

My next question is would it be ok to grow my cucumbers courgette and peppers between my sweetcorn , I have 16 sweetcorn plants but only one each of the others, I did look at doing 3 sisters but have decided against it and am doing the runner beans on thier own can I plant my tomatoes next to these.

Many thanks
First year growing, so far, so good.

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Hi

I'm new to all this also but when I dug over my plot I put both pellets and FBB and then depending on what I planted added a bit more at the time of planting.

Fingers crossed
Missy

solway cropper

BFB and chicken manure are fertilizers and will help with plant growth but you really need to be adding compost/manure to the soil to improve it structure, especially if it hasn't been much cultivated in the past. If it's only a smallish area you can buy bagged manure from B+Q or garden centres and don't worry if you can't get things perfect the first year.

Lottiegob

• Experienced Member
I have used the "3 sisters" method for the last 3 years with great success using sweetcorn(of course) courgettes(different colours) cucumbers, then intermingled with nasturtiums for companion planting - beautiful!   Put plenty of good compost and some sort of manure in before planting as they are gross feeders.
I'm queen of my own compost heap and I'm getting used to the smell.

xx
Can anyone help on chicken manure and blood fish and bone

Started by tweacle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 09:51
by rugbymad40
xx
Can I use Blood, Fish & Bone or Chicken Manure pellets?

Started by Hesse2509 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 03, 2012, 00:05
by clairebeau
xx
fish blood and bone

Started by amurdin on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 25, 2015, 20:30
by Rexmundi
xx
Fish Blood and Bone

Started by brucesgirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 12, 2008, 09:29
by pepper

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 32 queries.