don't like pellets

• 8 Replies

staffschicks

don't like pellets
« on: February 20, 2009, 14:58 »
Dumb question I'm afraid.  Mine will only eat pellets if there is no alternative i.e. they will spend all day foraging and eating grass and leave the pellets, when it was snowing they ate the lot so it's only preference.  It's a bit of a problem now as I'm trying to worm them but should I worry otherwise.

Roughlee Handled

Re: don't like pellets
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 15:06 »
I think it is pinch of fluve(what ever) on a grape given to each chuck once a day for a week.  Chickens will eat pellets as and when they nead them.  Just leave food out.  BUT you need to make sure it can not get wet and then go mouldy.  This in not good.  Do you put your pellets out in a container or spread on the ground?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

poultrygeist

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 15:14 »
If they're eating grass and other garden stuff, they should be fine. It's only if they don't have access to fresh grass,etc that teh pellets become the most important foodstuff.
Everything else is seen as treats.
If you have too many or they're too boisterous for grapes, could you enclose them for a couple of hours to eat teh dosed pellets, then let them range for the rest of the day ?

I found the quantity of pellets needed was not huge per day. As long as they all get the minimum dose each.

Rob 8)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 17:31 »
If they don't eat properly you'll have health problems with them, particularly egg laying ones.

Grass is not very nutritious this time of year they need it young and growing - new shoots called tillers.

staffschicks

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 17:58 »
The pellets are in supplied containers so the're not getting wet.

Do you think sticking the flud to some corn with a bit of olive oil would work - mine have never seen a grape.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 18:01 »
They may never have seen a grape and also never tasted one either.  Meal worms always work though. Once they have a taste for them.

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 18:59 »
Mine had never seen a grape until I tried to dose them (6). The first 2 snatched 4 of them and I had to beat a hasty retreat to the gate before I was pecked to death. :ohmy:

I'd go with the dry mix with pellets method. Measure out the daily or weekly amount of lubenvet and mix with a handful of pellets. It will coat them. Then mix the handful with some more pellets. You can then mix this in with say half their normal daily or weekly (whichever you choose) amount and then add the correct amount to their feeder. When it's gone, you can top up with normal pellets and start again next day. Repeat for 7 days.
Full advice here http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4348.0

Rob 8)

staffschicks

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 20:25 »
Thanks, I assume it is Ok to put twice the recommended dose for mixing in the pellets if they only eat half as much as the books suggest chickens eat?

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 20:29 »
I'd work out how much flubenvet they need and mix with half or less the pellets. AS far as I know, it's the final quantity rather than the ratio with pellets that matters.
Aunt Sally may know with more certainty.

Rob

xx
Grower's pellets to layer's pellets

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 09:36
by Beano
xx
Which Pellets?

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 08:50
by carolbriar
xx
pellets

Started by amj on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 20:26
by doodoo
xx
new pellets

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 21:34
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 38 queries.