What eats onions?

• 6 Replies

Living in Hope

What eats onions?
« on: July 06, 2011, 14:13 »
A couple of months ago I got a field in which I'm creating a vegatable plot. I'm still learning what the challenges are, but I can't work out all the invaders.

I put in some drawf french beans and the leaves were eaten, then a week later rabbits found the plot and polished off the lot. I've since put in a fence and put in some runner beans. I put some slug pellets in but agian the leaves are being eaten - the rabbits don't appear to have got in - no droppings - is this some sort of bird?

I have also planted shallots and onions under netting. Within a few days every one of the shallots had disappeared, again no rabbit droppings and now the onions have been eaten - the netting is still in place - any ideas what is eating all my plants?

As well as rabbits I have seen evidence of voles/mice, moles, possibly fox and a wide variety of birds. I'm also interested to know what is leaving little piles of perfectly cleaned wild cherry stones.

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: What eats onions?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 14:18 »
You'd be surprised how much mice can eat, specially if there's a good population of them. They've never touched my onions, but they've certainly gone for peas and beans and fruit. Squirrels are also voracious raiders and extremely clever at getting through/under/over obstacles.  I'd have thought perfectly cleaned cherry stones would be either mice or squirrels. Birds tend to peck at them but don't normally get the whole thing.

stompy

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 14:28 »
Could be deer!

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 14:46 »
Sounds like mice hoarding the cherry stones for winter food.Squirrels tend to hide individual food items.

Brewers

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 16:42 »
if you're in a field i would say deer or muntjac. muntjac aren't picky!

Living in Hope

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 17:12 »
Deer are the one pest I don't think I have - with sheep with escapologist tendancies in the next field I'm pretty near a full set otherwise!

If it is mice/voles that's eating the onions - any suggestions?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 17:38 »
If the mice start to bother my veggie plot, I put out some box traps, catch them and release them a mile away. You always tend to find the population will grow again, they'll start to become a pest again, and you have to reduce the population again, in cycles. It's entirely personal choice whether you use traps to kill or humane traps.

xx
Who eats PSB leaves?

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 21:32
by Gandan57
xx
What eats tarragon?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 07:34
by pink aubergine
xx
What eats Kale?!

Started by louiser on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 17, 2014, 07:48
by pigguns
xx
what eats bean seeds?

Started by bigsprouts on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2007, 20:59
by slow_worm

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 35 queries.