Manuering & Liming

• 5 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Manuering & Liming
« on: February 03, 2014, 13:23 »
As most of you will know we have just acquired our first allotment plot. The old gentleman who had it before us had it for apparently more than 60 years and up until his death in early January looked after it  every day. I don't know what he put into the soil some say he didnt put much in the way of manure so I am wondering what we should do.
Should we manure and lime the whole plot or just do bits of it? do we lime any of it? Is there anything else we should do to the soil before we start our  planning & planting. Any advise will be most welcome

Ma x

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Manuering & Liming
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 13:30 »
you shouldn't manure where you are going to grow root vegetables, and lime is good for brassicas, but you shouldn't lime and manure at the same time.

maybe best just to manure where potatoes and other crops are going

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 19:44 »
As most of you will know we have just acquired our first allotment plot. The old gentleman who had it before us had it for apparently more than 60 years and up until his death in early January looked after it  every day. I don't know what he put into the soil some say he didnt put much in the way of manure so I am wondering what we should do.
Should we manure and lime the whole plot or just do bits of it? do we lime any of it? Is there anything else we should do to the soil before we start our  planning & planting. Any advise will be most welcome

Ma x
Hi ma also potatoes are not to keen on lime.darren
diggity dig dig

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 19:51 »
Thank you Mumofstig and 3 allotments . . . . . . . .  3 ALLOTMENTS! Myword I am only just getting used to 1 allotment never mind 3  :D

We are going to manure where the potatoes are going and we will leave the lime(to be honest I never know when to lime so have never bothered)

Totty

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 18:10 »
Lime is only needed if your soil ph is not right. Get a soil test kit. If it's been well looked after for a long time I bet there is no need to add any lime.

Totty

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 19:56 »
Lime is only needed if your soil ph is not right. Get a soil test kit. If it's been well looked after for a long time I bet there is no need to add any lime.

Totty
always thought lime was good for the onion beds never use we're the spuds are to be planted
John
A gardeners work is never done.

xx
liming

Started by kirstin-11 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 16:55
by Trillium
xx
Liming

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 12, 2006, 21:36
by John
xx
liming

Started by jason g on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 11:28
by tode
xx
Soil pH and liming

Started by poultrygeist on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 17:49
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 31 queries.