Ex-batts..

• 10 Replies

Porffor

Ex-batts..
« on: June 19, 2008, 20:28 »
ok.. remember long ago (ok not that long ago) before i got my girls, i wanted to get ex-batts.. well i'm thinking of getting a couple.. (numbers i'm not sure on).. :) I am going to collect them either on sunday or wednesday depending on a friend. :)

I'm here to ask.. for tips on introducing them...

i have two options, they sleep/stay in the big house with my two, then i in time lift them down to the coop and up again at night to bed. it'll take a while for them to get to grips with the ladder i think (house is about 4' off the ground).

Or..

I still have the small purple hutch conversion.. so they could live there and be able to get in and out as soon as they are brave enough.

A horsey friend has had some for a couple of weeks and said they stayed in for hte first 10 days or so.. but are not too bad in condition.

Also.. in a house that is 1200mm x 760mm and a run that is 3mx3m how many would you say is 'ok'?

Porffor

Ex-batts..
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 22:24 »
any advice.. pretty please?

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Ex-batts..
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 22:28 »
Quote from: "Porffor"
any advice.. pretty please?

dont poke gorillas in the eye...it makes them angry  :shock:

Porffor

Ex-batts..
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 22:34 »
 :lol:

Jellyhead

Ex-batts..
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 07:50 »
Sorry my only experience is of 4 rescue hens but not ex batts. I kept them separate but in the same enclosure so they could all see each other. I would put them one by one outside a.m. and carry them in p.m. After 1 week all ok and so took fencing down and they were fine :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

poultry paul

Ex-batts..
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:49 »
Not wishing to upset admin :oops:  have a look at the Battery Hen Welfare Trust site - http://www.bhwt.org.uk/index.php and this one http://www.downthelane.net/Page_35.html

No personal exerience though I thought about it but as I had never kept chickens before I bought two standard chooks to ease myself in. In a year or two I plan to introduce some ex-batts to the coup for added Karma points :wink:

Porffor

Ex-batts..
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 09:55 »
Thanks both. :) maybe it's wise to use the guine pig run inside the chook run for a while? And have the ex-batts in there until the girls get used to seeing them. ;) I'll have a spare feeder and waterer soon as have ordered some larger ones off ebay. :)

Will have a look at those sites, thanks a lot. :)

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Ex-batts..
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:11 »
Hi Porforr,

I would suggest you keep them seperate for a week. This is so you can worm them and de-flea/louse them.  Also it will give them a chance to get used to life in the "real world".  They will also need to get used to being fed pellets if thats what you feed. I believe they are fed on layers mash in "prison" as it takes longer to eat, therefore keeping them occupied for longer periods.

They will probably be stressed by  the sudden change in environment and fairly shell shocked, so will need time to adjust.  They may not even venture out for the first few days, but over a week or so they will change dramatically, just keep an eye on them.

When you choose to put them with your others I would suggest you pop them in their final home last thing at night.  Apparently they wont fight that way, however I would be prepared for some fisticuffs for the the first week or so they are with your other hens.  They will soon settle down though.

Good luck to you and well done on liberating a few more ex-batts.

Hope this is helpful

Claire

Porffor

Ex-batts..
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 10:15 »
It is claire thanks! :) I'll go for the run in a run I think ;) it has a lid so chooks can't get into them. :) but will wait till they start looking likely that they are ready to come out - my friend got some a couple of weeks back and it took them nearly 2 weeks to venture out.  :?

Am really pleased we feel able to give them a home. :) i know they may not last as long but it'll be a nice thing to do when we have space for more chooks. :) there is another farm nearby that has batts as well so we're in the right place for them (sadly). :(

My next door neighbour suggested taking a fence panel down and making the run go sideways into her garden too.. :lol: think she's getting hooked to the idea ;) who knows.. maybe she'll get some of her own one day! lol

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Ex-batts..
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 02:06 »
i just put mine straight in with my other chooks  added wormer to the water and left them in for two days they were fine i did de louse them as well. all are fine (apart from the 1s mr/s fox ate).
i guess it just depends lol
good luck there deff nothing better than seeing them change into 'normal' hens

Porffor

Ex-batts..
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 07:59 »
Thanks :) nice to know it has worked that way for someone. :)

Sad to say.. the jury is out.. :(
Hubby has sprung it on me that he doesn't want rescue chooks, that he has concerns over lifespan etc. :(
Gutted as was looking forward to getting some. The chooks are as much his project as mine so I don't feel i can railroad him on this really. It's not often he pipes up!  :roll:

xx
My 4 ex batts

Started by conventgirl on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 15:27
by nettynoodles1
xx
New ex Batts are here

Started by Chappers on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 12:21
by Chappers
xx
Ex-batts not going to bed!

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 09:06
by Flowerpower136
xx
Might be getting our ex-batts soon!

Started by beki on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 28, 2008, 22:25
by hazelize_uk

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 29 queries.