Blue berries

• 15 Replies

sclarke624

Blue berries
« on: April 30, 2009, 17:03 »
The flowers are dropping off now but all that is there is a flat bit do these swell to blue berries or cos they are flat I ain't getting any. :blink:

Also wish I had thought off getting same season blues when I bought two for more berries.  Ones early and ones mid which apparently isn't good enough should have got two earlies or two mids. :wub:

Never mind thoug will get some more when see in a sale. :D
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

SG6

Re: Blue berries
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 18:29 »
Mine is still in flower so cannot comment on the flat bits. Although I suspect tha they will turn into blueberries. Seem to think that after flowering I am left with a small swelling that is reddish if they were pollinated.

As to the two similar type for more berries it depends on the flowering time not the cropping time to geta maximum crop.

If both bushes flower at the same time then they will pollinate each other and this is what is wanted for getting the most berries.

If they flower at the same time then crop at different times then you should get the most berries with the crop spread out over a longer period.

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 21:22 »
Blueberries are self fertile but it is generally thought that mixed pollination produces a better crop.

I have Patriot - very early, Bluecrop mid season and Birgitta late, all three are in flower at present though Patriot is nearly finished.

They do need bees to pollinate and these seem to be in short supply nationally however weather has been dry and warm (until this week) for flowering season so I am hopeful of a good crop

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 22:43 »
I have loads of bees here they seem to love my hebes.  I wonder if tickling them with a paint brush would help.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 08:32 »
I have loads of bees here they seem to love my hebes.  I wonder if tickling them with a paint brush would help.

I don't think that I would try and tickle the bees!  :tongue2: :D

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:58 »
 :blink: :D :D :wacko:

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 16:35 »
Yes usually the flat bits swell up and form the "spikey" bit on the bottom of the berry. I've got hald a dozen small bushes and they usually produce something for me, though not a lot

SG6

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 20:30 »
I have  no real idea what mine produce as the resident blackbird(s) eats the lot.
Has been known to sit on the edge of the pots and refuse to move or let me near the bush.

Anyone have a blackbird pie recipe?

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 21:22 »
I have  no real idea what mine produce as the resident blackbird(s) eats the lot.
Has been known to sit on the edge of the pots and refuse to move or let me near the bush.

Anyone have a blackbird pie recipe?

Yes but I need 4 and 20 blackbirds to make my pie! :tongue2:

sclarke624

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 22:40 »
I'll have to net mine then as have loads of birdies staring at me through the window demanding their sultanas and nuts (all chopped up) so blueberries would probably be luxury for them.

sclarke624

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 22:46 »
Yes usually the flat bits swell up and form the "spikey" bit on the bottom of the berry. I've got hald a dozen small bushes and they usually produce something for me, though not a lot
Ahh thanks Barney.  Couldn't find the answer on the net anywhere.  Got quite a few on one plant then, don't know what the other one is playing at only got leaves on it, it is a mid season one. 

barney rubble

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 11:31 »
Funny how you can never find the most basic information anywhere in the normal channels when you've got a query isn't it?!

I've certainly had years when the bushes didn't flower, but think it was the year after the very long hot summer we had (many moons ago....but we're on a promise for a good one this year), and I may have been a horrible mother (yes I am a laydee - Barney and Rubble are my dogs) and didn't water them enough

sclarke624

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 12:58 »
Oh your'e a ladeee sorry LOL.  Did you water with rainwater, which can be difficult to collect and save if we have a good year.  And your'e right I always seem to have a question that the internet can't answer or the forum sometimes.  Love the names of the dogs I had to be conventional and called my golden retriever Charlie and the last one Sam, as they have a daddy as well.

barney rubble

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 13:10 »
They are very nice doggie names and I'm sure they will have waggy tails attached too!  :D Mine are good diggers (in the wrong places) so aren't allowed near the growing plots, but I though they could get a piece of the action on here with my nickname! Understandably it will confuse everyone, but hey - such is life

I now feed them only rainwater (the blueberries not dogs).  Cos I felt so guilty and thought I'd killed them after the hot spell I put them in a raised stainless steel trough which collects it all. It does get very boggy in there, but the plants don't seem to mind being water logged.

Somebody may say its not good for them sitting in water, but they are now performing, and I think it was in Hessayon's Fruit Growing book that I read the near relative the "Lowland Blueberry" like boggy conditions

I suspect your flowerless ones might not perform this year, but good luck!

barney rubble

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 16:17 »
 :blink: opps might have been the "lowbush berry" - all mine are in pots

xx
blue berries

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 22:07
by sclarke624
xx
Planting Blue berries

Started by Salkeela on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 21:51
by waddecar
xx
any one had success with blue berries

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 12, 2013, 22:22
by Ema
xx
Bay Berries - Can I use them for anything?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 15:56
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 28 queries.