Help! Egg stuck

• 6 Replies

Chuckles

Help! Egg stuck
« on: March 07, 2009, 08:03 »
Hi all, I'm a new member but I've been using your site for quite a while and it has always been very helpful...but I have a problem I can't find an answer for and I'm worried!!!!  Been to check on my chucks this morning and my little silkie (flo) had part of a soft shelled egg stuck to her bottom, I've managed to remove what was left of the shell but she appears to have what looks like a hard boiled egg yolk hanging from her bottom...she didn't seem at all happy to have it touched.  Could this be a prolapse???  Would you recommend she has a visit to the vets???

ceri green

• Experienced Member
Re: Help! Egg stuck
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 08:12 »
hi chuckles and welcome  :)
i think a prolapse would be red tissue.
try sitting her in warm water for 10 mins or so(not too hot obviously) to see if whatever it is comes off by itself? rather than pick at it i mean.
theres loads of very knowledgable and experienced peeps on her, so im sure someone will be along soon that might be able to help you more!
ceri  :)

Chuckles

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 08:23 »
Thank you ceri.....I'll give that a try.

Keep you posted!  :)

Chuckles

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 08:51 »
Panic over!!! :) :) :) hopefully!

Just got the warm water ready and went to get my little one and the hanging object has either gone back in or come away on it's own..managed to clean away what was left of the egg around her bottom (something I never expected to be doing a few months ago...cleaning a chickens bum on a saturday morning!!  :nowink:)so she's as good as new hopefully!

I'll be keeping a close eye on her for a while....

ceri green

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:33 »
glad to hear that chuckles...maybe she just sat on it before the shell had time to harden enough! ::)

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 10:02 »
Sounds like a happy outcome Chuckles. :)

Keep an eye in case it's gone the wrong way and she's having trouble pushing it out but I wouldn't have thought that likely.

Rob 8)

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 10:51 »
Hi Chuckles
Sometimes new layers have a few mishaps when the start laying or have had a bit of time off from laying.It may be that her calcium levels are low. Calcium is needed to form the eg g shell and also to help the muscles used to push the egg out. Cut out any treats for at last a couple of weeks -no mixed corn, veggies etc so she is eating her layers pellets. Make sure they have access to proper crushed oyster shells -eg Oestra.
Hopefully she expelled the contents -keep a close eye on her in case she didn't.

xx
stuck egg

Started by jackb256 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 09:44
by jackb256
xx
Stuck egg?

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2015, 08:22
by New shoot
xx
Please advise - stuck egg??

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 13:57
by Hensington
question
Stuck in a Moult - or something more serious?

Started by Tiggywinkle72 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 21:02
by Tiggywinkle72

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 28 queries.