Please advise - stuck egg??

• 3 Replies

Blarney

• Experienced Member
Please advise - stuck egg??
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:00 »
One of our hens, Barbara, looked a little off colour last night. 
She was first out of the coop this morning but then just sat under the garden table with her bum in the air.
We picked her up to try to check her out as I'd read on here that if they are egg bound you can feel it, sit them in warm water etc etc.
As my husband picked her up the white of the egg just poured out of her bottom.  I had a look and her bottom was almost pulsating like she was trying to push something out but there was no trace of anything, no shell, no yoke.
I'm not sure what to do now.  I've put her back in the run (the others are running round the garden) and she's just standing in the door of the coup, bum in air.
We don't have a vet round here that will take on hens so I can't even call for advice.
All and any advice is welcome.
She's about a year old and normally lays HUGE eggs.  We have oyster shell in their food and last week started adding Life Guard to their water as someone is laying soft shell eggs.  We didn't think it was Barbara laying soft shells but may be it is.
Thanks
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

Foxy

Re: Please advise - stuck egg??
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:11 »
pop her in a warm bath for at least 1/2 hour. Get some calcium from the chemist either in tablet  form(effevescent ) or liquid, either pop in water or pop on some food. If there is any egg contents still there she will need to expel them, or she may suffer from egg peritonitis which can be fatal.
It really would be an idea to track a vet down though as she may need a course of antibiotics.

Blarney

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 10:24 »
Thank you Foxy.  We've put her in the bath, the water is 5 inches deep and she's just stood up, bum pulsating but she won't sit down!  We've left her alone so she can relax.

We did just find a wet shell outside on the grass, so we assume the shell and white has passed. 

How much calcium do we put in the water?

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 13:57 »
Be brave, lube up and get a finger in her vent, gently mind....try to remove any foreign material in there before it go's bad.
Once it's gone bad the outlook is poor without a vet and antibiotics so get all the broken egg out asap.
Try a little CLO in the feed as well, this helps them pass the bigger eggs.

xx
Chick stuck in egg? Can anyone advise please...?

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 22:32
by herbiegrowsbananas
xx
stuck egg

Started by jackb256 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 09:44
by jackb256
xx
Stuck egg?

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2015, 08:22
by New shoot
xx
Help! Egg stuck

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 10:51
by Foxy

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 36 queries.