Re: Compost making query

• 9 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:51 »
 I have a question about compost or making compost.

Why is it we are told to use brown paper / card  in a compost bin and not ordinary news paper or paper?

Simply question now educate my simple mind  :D

Cheers Bill

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:27 by billathome65 »
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:37 »
Who told you that Bill?

It could be a reference to "browns" rather than "greens", the idea being to have a mixture of non-leafy and leafy material in your compost mix to avoid finishing up with a soggy mess (especially if you have quite a lot of grass mowings to process.)

In that sense, paper, newspaper, and cardboard are all "browns" (best at least partially shredded, and don't use envelopes with address "windows" - they're usually made of plastic although some are made from corn, but I've no idea how you tell the difference!)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:41 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:57 »
Hi I was reading up on a few sites and they where stating that the use of brown paper and brown card was desirable over white papers. It seemed to suggest that brown was better and I just wondered why this was the only thing I can think of is the chemicals in the ink but if that is the problem our bodies are being bombarded with chemicals every day any way.

but I am just checking to see if there is another explanation. If not I will just keep adding paper.

Cheers Bill
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:39 by billathome65 »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 13:00 »
Newspaper "ink" is just carbon (as far as I know) and coloured print inks are now required to use vegetable dyes (rather than the more noxious things they used to use) - again, as far as I know!

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 14:30 »
A bit of newspaper won't do any harm but the idea is to have a good mix of stuff to give you a well balanced, not too wet, compost. Give it a good stir occasionally

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 15:53 »
I think a lot of the rules of composting you say are a little on the old side from when the nasty chemicals was used in inks, as said this is no longer the case, the only other reason I can think of is brown card will be thicker so less likely to compact down, as it is desirable to have little air pockets, also I may think that brown card etc has better water retention, other than that I have no idea.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

GreenOwl

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 15:57 »
Brown cardboard rots down easier.  (Corrugated cardboard rots down lovely.)  I put shredded white paper in as well.

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 22:56 »
Brown cardboard, as used in packaging, is less 'processed' than white paper which has bleaching agents and optical brighteners added to it. Glossy paper is even more 'processed' although the chemicals used in the industry are now relatively harmless. As Aidy says, a lot of the rules were laid down when the world was a different place. I have no shortage of natural 'browns' for my compost but I still put cardboard and paper in as well.

savbo

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 08:15 »
and aren't the fibres bigger in brown card? I can see them!

Christine

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 08:22 »
From 4 years of very practical experience:
Glossy carboard doesn't rot down properly; any form of plain cardboard rots down.
Glossy paper and glossy paper don't rot down; plain newspaper crumpled up rots down.
Most teabags rot down but the brand known as TeaPigs don't because the covers are very nylon.

My compost heaps work just fine as in their second year they grow marrows and courgettes and squashes just fine before being worked into the soil.

Does that help?  :D

xx
Compost query

Started by hen maiden on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 11:10
by lazydog
xx
compost query

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 15:24
by Christine
xx
Compost query

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 08:52
by jrko
xx
compost query

Started by bandoboy on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 25, 2007, 21:43
by pwgun

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 37 queries.