Small but perfectly formed eggs

• 2 Replies

wendyg

Small but perfectly formed eggs
« on: April 25, 2011, 18:45 »
Picked up our 5 hybrids on Wednesday and today I found 2 small, perfect (and tasty) eggs.  These were laid by the Blue and Copper Black as they are both about 25 weeks old (4 weeks older than the others). 

I was worried that 5 hens would be a bit of a squash in the coop (it has two 30 inch perches), but they all seem to squash up on a single perch (4 on the perch and one on the floor between 2 others), how can I get them to use the other perch?  Unfortunately the perch they are using is right in front of access door (for cleaning) so would be difficult to move them on the the other perch.

Eggs.JPG
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

alancane

• Experienced Member
Re: Small but perfectly formed eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 20:46 »
What lovely eggs and the darker one is a lovely colour!
To be honest, they will want to huddle up close to each other, so I don't think there is any point in spreading them across the different roosting bars - they will be happier all together. The only think you might want to do is get the one not on the roosting bar to get on the bar by lifting her up once they have settled down for the night. She will eventually get the idea.

In the depths of winter, they will enjoy huddling up together.
Alan

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Small but perfectly formed eggs
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 11:27 »
I just lifted mine on the perches for a few nights and they soon got the hang of it.

The only time one of mine has not perched recently was when she was laying a soft shelled egg.  Think she was uncomfortable so I put her in the nest box for the night and she was fine the next day after laying.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Eggs large and small

Started by mr.mellow on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 14:56
by joyfull
xx
Has anyone seen an egg this small from one of their chooks?

Started by Laine21 on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post August 09, 2013, 11:14
by Prod
xx
One small step for man. . .

Started by Pepperpincushion on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 19:14
by jinty1911
xx
Small rant grrrrr

Started by evie2 on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post April 06, 2011, 15:17
by evie2

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 28 queries.