loss of feathers ?

• 7 Replies

lisa80

loss of feathers ?
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:39 »
hi all,i just noticed this morning that dotty (shes a rhode island cross with sussex) has lost most of her feathers from the front part of her neck. i had a close look and im not entirely sure wether there is blood  there or if its just her colouring. will get oh to have a good look this evening ,i havent seen any of the others pecking her,and she doesnt look like shes moulting, shes about 15 wks old. any advice on any treatment or what might be the cause would be great thanks     lisa

Roughlee Handled

Re: loss of feathers ?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 13:36 »
Can you see the feathers? Are they on the ground or in the coop?
How many chucks have you got?
How long have you had her?
Is she missing feathers from anywhere else?

I doupt if she is going through a partial moult and definitely not a full moult.

Could she have been attacked by something?
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

lisa80

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 13:58 »
hi thanks for your reply we have had her 3 weeks and she has just been moved to her permenant coop and pen there are a few feathers around as they have all been having what i think is a partial moult.she looks fine so i dont think shes been attacked.just wondered if maybe one of our banthams had been pecking her(they are the right height to get to that spot)but have never seen this happen when they were in the garden.none of the others have a bold spot like this,could she have been rubbing herslf on something? not sure what tho as we have been really careful making everthing safe for them.dont know if this helps but all together we have 3 cukoo marans(1 is a cock)  2 rhode sussex 2 new hamshire red banthams and one silkie :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 14:46 »
er one other thought is the netting/mesh on your run wide enough for her to get her head through? She could be trying the grass on the other side of the fence?

Not sure of a partial moult at 15 weeks though. And after on peck and a chuck is normally off and away out of trouble, so not sure if it could be pecking if it is allot of feather. 

lisa80

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 15:05 »
your right she might just be able to get her head through fence (its arris or something like that)must be because she nosey tho cause they have plenty of fresh grass where they are as we only moved them yesterday.At what age do they start to moult?must admit its the one thing ive not read up on ::)we are pretty new to this but have done plenty of research on here and books etc should i put anything on her if it does turn out to be sore? tho knowing me im probably panicking as my oh says, and what looks like blood will turn out to be new feathers coming through!!!!im always telling him id rather over react and be safe rather than sorry :)

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 15:10 »
A full moult is a round one year old and every year. But it can be induced by shock or starvation. Partial moults I know they happen but not sure when.  I have had chickens up to just under a year old and not seen evidence of a partial moult. Though on older birds it happens.

lisa80

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 15:26 »
all of them seem ok and healthy they have food availabe all the time i just noticed when they were in the ark there were a fair few feathers about but no obvious bald patches on girls.If dotty is sore will bath her and posibly spray her with purple spray if need be but dont think will come to that . :)thanks for your advice may well have to put extra mesh round bottom of the pen if that is what shes doing

lisa80

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:33 »
checked dotty this morning and it isnt blood tho they are popping their heads through fence so will mesh the bottom of the pen at the weekend.as for the feathers ive seen caught 6 of them trying to get into one nest box to sleep!!! lots of flapping so guess thats where they are coming from :)

xx
Re loss of feathers

Started by justconnoly on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 20:18
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Loss of feathers

Started by tracy66 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 18:07
by evie2
xx
loss of feathers (please help)

Started by frodomb on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 22:32
by compostqueen
question
loss of feathers

Started by phil-marg on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 19:33
by joyfull

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 28 queries.