allotment that floods

• 6 Replies

davmabz

allotment that floods
« on: November 19, 2009, 17:16 »
hi everyone new to this so heres my question

I,ve have just been offered an allotment by my local council, I have been on the waiting list for about 3 yrs, the problem is I know that this plot floods 2/3 times a year will this be a big problem to any crops that may be in the ground? it only floods for a day or two, the previous tennent seems to have done ok, there are some peppers and marrow still growing in the plot and the soil looks and feels ok.

hi again and thanks for your replies.

when the plot floods its standing water , its 2/3 inches deep, theres a small river/stream that runs near and this causes the flooding, but as i said it drains in a day or two.
thanks again   :nowink:

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:49 by davmabz »

madcat

Re: allotment that floods
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 17:31 »
Depends why it floods and if there is a rush of water going through.  Worth checking out before deciding.

When we took on ours, which was a new plot at the time, we thought it was great that we were next to the stream ....  :ohmy:  Apparently the bottom of that field always flooded ...  So when the waters went down, the boots went on and we cleared all the stuff - branches and old fence posts and leaves and wire and plastic and just stuff - that had collected in the stream, up and down stream as well as by the plot, so it runs freely and clear.  We then edged the sides of the beds nearest the stream so if it does flood again, at least we keep our good soil.

We have had a few close moments after it has poured, but no further floods on the beds.  We also have some extra land, which no-one wanted because of the flooding, as the trade for keeping the stream tidy and in good nick.  win win. but sometimes wet!   :D
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 09:08 »
Madcat's right, might be worth seeing if you can find any other tenants around this weekend to ask about things.

Flowing water will cause problems; standing water may be less of an issue if it definitely drains fast.

You could always consider asking the allotment officer whether they'd be prepared to rehouse you if it wasn't tolerable and you were losing crops because of it.

On one of the sites I'm linked to, there's a plot which they just don't let owing to flooding problems. They're obviously so severe that it's not worth growing anything.

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Leedsniner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 09:26 »
Raised beds ( using railway sleepers) might help - depending on what depth the water gets to.

tode

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:27 »
Hi, Davmabz,

When you say 'floods', do you mean 3 or 4 inches, or more a foot or two ?

Edit: that's what I was thinking, Learner    ;)

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 19:59 »
Rice?  ;)

Most plants can stand a short term submersion, it all depends how deep and how long.

The field behind my fathers house floods at least once a year, but it doesn;t stop a commerical farmer from planting there.  I think that shows that as long as the soil is free draining, it's not a problem.

I agree with comments on here though about flowing water.  There is no point even starting if it wlll get washed away.  Raised beds would at least keep most of the soil in-situ.  Oh, and putting the shed on blocks may be a good idea.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 20:02 by Jay The Digger »

hamstergbert

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 13:28 »
It is necessary to consider the surroundings in the area in which the flooding occurs.  If the only contributor is a stream in fields etc, then the only considerations are likely those to be found in the other posts already made.

However if the flooding involves any area with buildings etc - including upstream of the site - flooding has the effect of completely filling the drains and sewers in the affected location and then displacing to the outside with the result that the water forming the floodwater will be very *dirty* shall we say.   Awareness and care is needed both for working on ground that is/has been subject to this kind of inundation and for the treatement of what are after all food crops grown there.  (Subsequent growing on ground affected and/or contaminated carries modest concerns, not too different from the usual ones.  The major hazard is to plants already out and growing when flooded).
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

xx
Floods

Started by donald.cape on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2007, 10:49
by John
xx
Floods of biblical proportions

Started by Christo on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 11:36
by mike1987
xx
our allotment last may

Started by crackedflowerpots on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:44
by mashauk
xx
New Allotment

Started by jeffers71 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 16:55
by jono2507

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 37 queries.