poorly hen

• 3 Replies

dshand

poorly hen
« on: July 12, 2011, 18:45 »
Hi everyone,

just discovered this afternoon that one of my hens was eeg bound but has managed to pass a very blooming looking egg.  At least it's out, however it has left her entire back covered in blood  :( which the others keep pecking.  I've sprayed her with an avian solution which is meant to stop the pecking as it is meant to taste horrid to them, but they still keep doing it.  I hope she'll find a corner over night where she'll get some peace during the night.  Separation worries me as she'll loose her place in the flock and be bottom of the pecking order anyway even after a full recovery. What can I do for her? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. many thanks. Dx
I love no place in the world more than the gorgeous LAKE DISTRICT.

kegs

Re: poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 18:57 »
I'm new too so I'm sure that someone experienced will be along to help you shortly.  However one of our chickens suffered a prolapse in the first week we had her, so my inexperienced advice would be remove her immediately.  Gently wash her to see what the damage is, dry her on a gentle setting with a hairdryer but certainly remove her from the others.  Good luck and keep us informed.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 19:36 »
I agree with Kegs here.  I am not an expert either, however it does sound as if she needs a little time to heal. 

You can use purple spray (it really is called that though it is really gentian violet).  Hens are drawn to peck at red areas and they will continue unless you disguise the colour.  The spray also acts as an antiseptic to aid healing.   You can get it from equine supply places.

You also need to watch out that she has left nothing inside her.  This could cause egg yolk peritonitis.  A nasty condition and unless you catch it early enough it has a poor prognosis.  Keep an eye on her and if she is not doing well it may be a good idea to take her to a vet for a check.

I am sure someone more experienced will be along.  In the meantime good luck and keep us posted  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 20:12 »
If the others are pecking her sufficiently to cause harm I would separate her too.  the hens are more likely to peck her during the day so you could wait until the others are asleep and lift her into the coop overnight if you are concerned about where to put her, then observe their behaviour in the morning when you let her out.  Purple spray does seem to work better than anti peck spray and is also antiseptic
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
A poorly hen...

Started by bob-the-chick on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 14:00
by bob-the-chick
xx
Where do you put a poorly hen?

Started by AnimalFriend on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2018, 09:02
by New shoot
xx
poorly hen

Started by Elida on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 19:36
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 28 queries.