My leeks

• 8 Replies

Beetroot queen

My leeks
« on: May 22, 2013, 14:52 »
Ok so I have moaned before about these damn leeks, the first batch failed the second lot took a month so none showed till may arrived, and now I have three buckets but ............ Here it comes

I have one bucket which is further on by about a week and another two buckets after that. The first bucket have now all stood up. Forget pencil thickness think not even string thickness, maybe less than wool even.

The others most are still bent over in half.  ::)

Now seriously are these a lost cause, should I just blame the compost, weather, hubby and try again next year.

simonwatson

Re: My leeks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 15:18 »
I started my leeks very late last year. I sowed them as you have in a pot and transferred them mid July. I ended up with a nice crop of small but very tasty leeks. You're too late for giants, but you can still have something. As they can stay in the ground all winter you'll still end up with a usable long lasting crop.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 15:25 »
I started my leeks very late last year. I sowed them as you have in a pot and transferred them mid July. I ended up with a nice crop of small but very tasty leeks. You're too late for giants, but you can still have something. As they can stay in the ground all winter you'll still end up with a usable long lasting crop.

Small is fine just don't want to be laughed at when my sticks finally get to the plt  :wub:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 15:47 »
give them a weak feed, and make sure they're not too close together - if you've got 3 lots you can afford a bit of thinning to make sure they have room to grow  ;)

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 16:42 »
Mine are always the same but I always get a decent crop even if they are on the smaller side.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 16:50 »
give them a weak feed, and make sure they're not too close together - if you've got 3 lots you can afford a bit of thinning to make sure they have room to grow  ;)

Comfrey tea suitable, I have some ready

grendel

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 21:12 »
I had some like that planted 3 years ago, they were so small I left them in the ground - that next year they produced seed heads, eventually I gave up and rotovated the whole lot last summer on both plots, come october and I had 6" leeks growing, these were left over winter again, tonight we had the first feast of leek and bacon cheesy pasta, and very nice it was too, more flavour and leeks about 1" diameter. so dont give up on them, that first year we ate baby leeks in everything, about 1/2" diameter.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 21:15 »
I have decided they deserve to be given a chance, they can go in once spuds come out so the beds won't be wasted. I like small leeks lol well that's what I will tell people

grendel

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 21:18 »
small leeks are full of flavour and cook nicely whole so save on preparation. ours were string like because my wife sowed the whole packet in one seed tray, they came up looking like grass. no room to get pencil thick.
Grendel

xx
Leeks.

Started by mrsparsnip on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2006, 21:33
by rugbymad40
xx
Leeks looking sorry for themselves

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 22:08
by Elcie
xx
leeks

Started by bowler on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 21:42
by binner
xx
leeks

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 08:39
by Brassica Blaz

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 31 queries.