Leghorn really down of sorts

• 2 Replies

Planner

Leghorn really down of sorts
« on: April 24, 2011, 16:51 »
Hi all

My Leghorn who normally is top of the pecking order has been looking a bit out of it the last couple of days. She is very quiet, just sitting in the shade. Yesterday she laid a shell less egg, in fact it was almost just yolk. She has been laying well up till now. I have looked at her droppings and the one i have definitely attribute to her was very watery, a light brown.

She is drinking as I have seen her over by the water, but she is very much keeping her self to herself. All the others seem fine and are running and scratching around as normal.

Any advice please?

KR

John
The man with a plan

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
Re: Leghorn really down of sorts
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 20:57 »
Hi John,
I think that you need to check the main things such as does she have a temperature (check under the wing to see if it feels hot and compare with one of your happy girls).  She might well be dehydrated if she has watery urates (this happened me just after Christmas).  If you can, place a few watering areas and one in the shade.  Try to tempt with a few of her favourite treats and keep a close eye.  If she seems to deteriorate, I would take her to the vets quite quickly as chickens often mask symptoms and we only find out quite late in the game.  It has been hot where I live and I think it's probably a result of the heat/sun.  I am sure others will be along to offer better advice.  Good luck and keep us posted.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Leghorn really down of sorts
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 21:38 »
They are a worry at times  ::)

Laying a soft shell egg can make a chicken a bit out of sorts for a day or 2, but you need to make sure she is eating and drinking.

Get her set up with shade,water and food tomorrow like everyone says, but if she doesn't make any progress I would get her to a vet as quickly as you can.

Let us know how she gets on  :)

xx
Hen out of sorts after laying first egg

Started by parsleypig on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 16:39
by Aunt Sally
xx
Out of Sorts Chook! HELP PLZ!

Started by littlewitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 09:21
by Vember
xx
leghorn eggs

Started by meterman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 15:57
by joyfull
xx
white leghorn

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 26, 2009, 19:53
by lucylou

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 35 queries.