Chicken with hurt leg

• 4 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Chicken with hurt leg
« on: September 13, 2011, 20:26 »
Hi there, I'm in a complete panic as when we got home this evening my little Honey was limping. She's holding her foot up as if it hurts and it did feel slightly warmer to touch although no obvious signs of injury. She's still running around like a mad thing as usual though just doing it with a limp.

Problem is we are going on holiday on Thursday and it was too late to phone the vets when I got home. I'm going to phone them in the morning and see if we can take her in tomorrow night but I'm so worried as we aren't going to be here and only have someone coming in every other day (we have an auto pop hole opener).

What do I do, I was reading other posts where people have said to keep them rested and move to a smaller run but we won't be here to care for her or put her into bed. Hubby is going to see if he can borrow a dog cage and cat basket we could put her in but that means she'll be separated from the others :(

x

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Re: Chicken with hurt leg
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 20:54 »
Hi,
sorry to hear about your chicken :ohmy:

Personally I woud not seperate her from the others unless they are picking on her or she really cannot get around. It will just upsent her and stress her out, plus if she is seperated for a while they will probably scrap a bit when she does go back in  :wub:

Hope she is better soon, have a fab holiday and try not to worry too much!

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 21:24 »
Thanks for your reply, I tend to agree with you about keeping her with the others but their ramp to get up to their coop is quite high so a bit worried this will become too much for her to manage and we won't be around to notice her getting worse. I know I'm a worrier lol!

I'll see how she is in the morning, she got up to bed on her own ok so hopefully she'll be a bit better.

Thanks my mind is at rest a little bit more now  ::)

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:35 »
Hi

If her foot feels warmer it is likely to be an infection such as bumblefoot (you can google this for more information),  She will need antibiotics in all probability so take her to a vet if you can.  I agree not to separate her, you may then have problems getting her back in with the others

Good Luck
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 19:35 »
Thanks for your replies, I'm pleased to say shes much better today, shes putting weight on her leg and running and scratching around. I spoke to the vets this morning and they said if she's putting weight on it its probably a sprain and just to keep an eye on her over the next few days.

Panic over thankfully!

x

xx
HELP! Chicken hurt......

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 18:08
by joyfull
xx
hurt leg

Started by terri on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 06:46
by hillfooter
xx
Help - Hurt leg

Started by kegs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 18:43
by kegs
xx
Maude got hurt

Started by Kiwi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 00:22
by Kiwi

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 36 queries.