Absolute Beginner

• 6 Replies

greenhorn

Absolute Beginner
« on: June 04, 2010, 20:47 »
Hi all,

never had an allotment or really done any gardening, I've just taken on a plot that has lain fallow for over a year, its clay soil and basically just like a field but has been worked successfully in the past. So far with the help of my son we've half strimmed it, cut back a load of overgrown hawthorn and some overhanging tree branches from the far end of the plot where we'll build shed, compost etc.
 Apparently the plot gets waterlogged on one side, so we intend to dig a ditch leading to a wildlife pond that we're also going to have.

I know it's going to take a while to get the soil back to workable and fertile, is there anything I can grow this year, maybe on a raised bed..... clerk who let the plot said she'd like to see something grown this year so she can see the plots being worked.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Absolute Beginner
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 20:53 »
I hope the clerk isn't expecting miracles  - sounds like you've already started making progress on a difficult site!

Have a look at these links, they'll give you an idea of what happens when, plus some other articles about planning and clearing allotments

http://www.allotment-garden.org/growing_information.php

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

http://www.allotment-garden.org/articles.php

P.S. Welcome to the site :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Livinhope

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 21:35 »
Welcome.

The desk clerk is obviously not a gardener.  The usual advice is plenty (as much as possible) of organic matter.  I understand Joe Swift of BBC Gardeners World has an allotment on clay.  It was a lot of hard work but he's managed to turn it into a productive plot.  I think at this time of year and with your plot in the condition it is anyone expecting you to produce very much is living in cloud cuckoo land but if you are clearing the plot and show that you are working on it that should be enough for this year and, any over officious jobs worth desk clerks.

Very best of luck, you'll get there. :)

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 22:13 »
Welcome to the site!

Most of the soil around here (Milton Keynes) is pretty clayey and it is a challenge but it can be improved over time with lots of manure/compost etc.  It sounds like you have already made a brilliant start.  Getting something growing would be good for you too as it will give you some encouragement to keep going.

iggyboy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 16:15 »
The clerk is a numpty,mate! Anyone will tell you it takes years to get on top of a plot and at least one season to sort out whatever plot of land a new tenent takes on. If this clerk wants to see instant success,plant a tree,that should shut the mug up!
...the night was dark...they usually are!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 16:58 »
Hello and welcome to the site. :)

Good luck with your major challenge! :unsure:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 17:45 »
Dig and plant as you go, good test to see what the soils like, we stuck in a rhubarb as our first thing on both our plots and you will be suprised how it all comes together

Good luck  :D

xx
absolute beginner

Started by scotty on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 26, 2009, 15:44
by horsepooisgood
xx
another absolute beginner

Started by Janet on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 15, 2006, 00:27
by Beanzie
xx
Absolute Beginner

Started by Brummie on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 15:39
by Brummie
grin
Absolute NEWBIE with photos (and a story)

Started by supershedseven on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 04, 2018, 20:39
by DHM

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 36 queries.