feather pecking

• 11 Replies

fourmoon

• 1 husband, 1 cat, 3 RIR
feather pecking
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:45 »
I am a newbie to chicken keeping.  I have 3 RIR I have had them for 3 week now.  I noticed that the bosy one was feather pecking so used an anti-pecking spray every three days on the other two.  It stopped for two weeks but Friday I found that she has been doing it again she has made the other two bleed this time.  I have been looking at your site and the suggestion of an Anti-pecking bit be used could you tell me do they work.

Could anybody give me some advice please.

fourmoon

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: feather pecking
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 11:53 »
yes they do usually work  :).
Is she eating the feathers or just being aggressive towards the other hens? Sometimes if they are eating the feathers it is due to a deficiency in their diet - in which case (and could quite possibly be the reason if they are young and just coming into lay) cut out all treats and increase the level of protein in their diet for a few weeks - you can do this by feeding them some soya beans in their diet with their layers feed (you can now buy frozen ones which makes life a lot easier  :))
Try to disguise any redness on the pecked hens by spraying them with purple spray (available on the equestrian section at your local pet supermarket) this is also an anti bacterial so will help stop any infection from setting in.
Staffies are softer than you think.

fourmoon

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 16:07 »
Yes, one has just come into lay last Wednesday and another keeps going into coup turning round and coming out again.   But the one that's feather pecking has not got a bright red comb yet, but she loves her food.  Is their any special soya bean that I should buy. 

Thanks for help

fourmoon

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 16:12 »
You could try some frozen ones by Birds e*e thawed out of course (not sure if anybody else does them). But do try cutting out all other treats as well  :)

fourmoon

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 16:34 »
Thanks joyfull I will get some tomorrow :happy:

fourmoon

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 16:37 »
Thanks for the info yesterday, unfortunately I could not get the frozen soya beans so I bought the Wholefoods soya beans instead.  I have had a great time crushing them up and I have given some to my three chooks which they loved.  But could someone tell me how much to give them in their layers pellets a day. Thanks.

fourmoon

andy and deb

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 21:32 »
i know its now banned but the poultry farm where I got my hens suggested clipping the beak of the bully just the very end pointy bit to stop her breaking the skin of the other two

andy and deb

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 22:02 »
sainsbury's do the frozen soya beans ...

fourmoon

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 11:13 »
Thanks andy and deb,

I try and get some.  Does anybody know how much to give them I don't want them to get fat. Joyfull suggested to give it to them for two weeks.  Agatha who feather pecks is a large lady, bigger than Sweet Pea and Tuppence.  I will put pics on shortly. Any advice please.

fourmoon

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 23:18 »
Is the pecking because they don't have enough interest in their run? Could you try hanging up a cabbage or head of broccoli?  Or an armful of weeds from the garden (yours or I'm sure neighbours would contribute!)

If the girls have things to do and places to get away from each other, the bullying might settle down a bit.
ManicMum

fourmoon

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 10:35 »
Hi ManicMun,

Thanks for getting back.  I give them layers pellets first thing and they have it all day about 1 oclock I give them greens(broccoli, chickweed. with apples, grapes tomatoes etc.).  And then late afternoon they have a handful of mixed corn.  They have a run 22ft long and 15ft wide with perches and a large bush to climb and eat.  They scratch for grubs and insects.  What I do not understand is that she only does it occasionally.  She has not done it since last Friday until yesterday.  When Tuppence was having a dust bath and was quite near to her lying on the ground and she quickly pecked her and then ate her feather.  I have been giving them the soya beans since last Tuesday all was fine until yesterday.  Could anybody give me some more advice please.

Thanks
fournoon

carsmarco252

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 13:44 »
one of my dominant chickens used to feather peck very badly, pulling and eating. i think it was partly down to the winter and lack of nutrients so make sure they have plenty of everything and lots of greens. i resorted to using anti pecking bits from the domestic fowl trust. they are very cheap and work. i left mine on for about a month until she had got out of the habit. its a two person job to get them on, one to hold the bird and the other to open the ends and slot in onto their nostrils. also a two man job to remove the clip. its often easier to cut the clip with pliers and let it fall off. once the clip is on their beak remains slightly open all the time. they can still eat and drink but cannot close it enough to get a grip on feathers and will after time give up trying

xx
Feather pecking

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2016, 11:37
by Sassy
xx
Feather Pecking Again!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:07
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Feather pecking.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 17:32
by Chas
xx
Feather Pecking....think I've tried everything.

Started by SteveE on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 14:48
by crh75

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 29 queries.