Question about smell - please help!

• 12 Replies

Nats

« on: May 14, 2008, 12:05 »
Hi everyone, I'm new on the forum as my partner and I have just got our first two chickens. Our garden's only big enough for two so we can't have any more than that at the moment!

I do have a question for all of you who know much more than I do -

Our neighbours haven't complained yet and the chickens are really quiet. But I was just wondering if there's anything I can do to control or minimise the smell in the run and coop? I don't notice it but I want to keep it as nice-and-fresh-smelling as possible so that the neighbours will stay happy.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Nats

Jellyhead

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 12:14 »
I try to poo pick on a regular basis, between full clean outs, which I do at least once a week. Doing this I find there is not a problem with smell :D
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Vember

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 13:09 »
Like Jelly said you can't go far wrong with picking up the worst of the poops,
 I have a couple who poop in the nestbox overnight, so whilst I'm cleaning those I pick up the poop daily then once a week I give them a complete clean up. I've never had any nasty niffs.

Or maybe I'm so used to it i don't notice anymore  :lol:

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 13:15 »
I get rid of the poops to the compost bin and the newspaper or Aubiose under the roosting bars daily, and I knock or wipe off any droppings on the bars themselves.  I check the nesting material throughout the day too, removing any poos and clearing the lot out each week (there isn't much with two chickens so not hard work  :D )

I run a B & B so I need to keep on top of things lest the Health Inspector should arrive and stick his head in. I regularly stick my head in and sniff to ensure no niffs.  

Aunt Sal recommends garlic in the drinking water to deodorise the poos thereby reducing niffs and flies

Bodger

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 13:19 »
If the run has a top that keeps it dry that would be good, because its when things get wet and putrid that the smell starts.

poultrygeist

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 13:32 »
We poo pick daily and I'm more than happy to lean into our coop for cleaning without choking.

But the run has been a bit smelly this past week or so with the sun on it all day. It's only partially covered so does get teh rain but with well-drained soil beneath the wood chippigns, it's not too bad. It things like the ramp and bits of log which are covered in droppings that give off the worst niffs. I try and scrape them clean as often as poss and hose down when it's warm.

Rob

Nats

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 13:49 »
Thanks for your replies everyone, I'm really grateful!

I will clean it out as often as you suggest.

Is it necessary to disinfect the coop as well? Will that not harm the chickens?

Sorry for such silly questions!

Thanks again,

Nats

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 13:54 »
As well as the advice so far, try Smallholders Louse or Red Mite Poweder as they smell divine! They aren't expensive and you only need a tiny shake to get the desires aroma...added bonus the lice/mites don't like it either!! I can't get these products over here but don't have a problem with smell but do wish I could get the stuff I used to use as once a week was enough for keeping the girlies boudoir gorgeous!! :wink:

Job done!
Judi

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 17:20 »
You have to be careful with what you use to clean them out with.   Be guided by all the information on here, in the hen house, as there are answers about everything to do with keeping hens etc.

Fire2920

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 08:33 »
We are cleaning / poo picking each day, they all seem to be very good at pooing in only one corner of there shed , so ive just this morning put down a sheet of 6mm plastic in that corner, after a quick sweep should be able to lift it out and hose it down, there enclosure is so big poos not a problem  :wink:
??? I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous... ???

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 11:12 »
i just wish my chooks were better house trained......... they dont wipe their feet before going to bed at night and trail in mud when the field is muddy!!

seriously tho i clean mine out on a weekly basis and top up with fresh shavings  as needed in the week they free range all day in about 5 acres plus the farmers field so they do most droppings out side.

ResidentEvilRock

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 03:38 »
I think I'm going to finish out the roof on my pen.  I am using a 10 x 10 chain-link dog lot for my ladies. As for the roof, I have mess netting and tarps on top of them covering only half of the pen. I thought that they would like the extra sunlight, but rain does make a mess of everything though.... So I guess I'll take off the two small tarps and get a 10 x 12 tarp to totally enclose the top to curb the rain.

Nats

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 09:29 »
I know what you mean Nettynoodles, mine trail in mud and poo and also trail OUT shavings and shredded paper. They much need a pedicure ;)

5 acres, wow, lucky chickens! Mine just have a garden :)

xx
How bad does Mr fox smell?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 11:01
by maxyboo
xx
Smell and flies

Started by BGD on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 14:52
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Smell and noise?

Started by netserve on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 14:14
by compostqueen
xx
Why do my Hens smell so bad?

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2013, 15:09
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 35 queries.