Re: fridge or left out
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:37 »
Fridge! Keeps em fresher for longer.
Simples ;)

Curlytop

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:37 »
Hi Liam
I always put mine in the fridge but my son keeps his on his kitchen worktop for all to see (sure he is just trying to show off as he has more chooks than me and gets more eggs), I think you will find it is just preference.

corkee

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 09:44 »
yeah ive got a nice lil chooky egg holder that someone bought us for our 2nd wedding anniversary and looks great on the side full of eggs!  :)

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 11:56 »
I keep mine out of the fridge, i bought a egg skelter and it looks great with different coloured eggs in :)

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 17:07 »
I keep mine in the fridge as I have a cockerel. Boiled egg with feathers just wouldn't be the same! Katie Thear recommends keeping them in the fridge. :)

Otherwise I would say it is personal preference. The supermarkets don't refridgerate theirs (do bear in mind that supermarket hens will not have been exposed to a cockerel).
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 17:11 »
In the fridge...2 months, out of the fridge...1 month. On a chicken keeping course I went on, they told us those times, and she also said that you shouldnt wash your eggs as you wash off the protective 'bloom' which stops contaminents getting into the egg. If the egg is soiled, just brush it off with a dry cloth.
I keep mine in the cupboard, away from any heat source and I'm not dead yet :)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 18:30 »
The only time i put eggs in the fridge is if i am keeping them 2-3 weeks before boiling them for pickled eggs. The main reason for keeping the hens is for FRESH eggs and any surplus goes to friends and relatives not in the fridge.  :)

corkee

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 19:57 »
yep i quite agree too out of the fridge they taste so much better,and who cares about a bit of dirt and sometimes feather thats the best thing about being free range and the taste yummy yummy!!

ehs284

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 20:46 »
From a food hygiene point of view, you have a choice providing that the ambient temperature is below about 20C. You should assume that the outer shell surface is contaminated. Inside the shell is a membrane which stops the bacteria getting into the egg proper. This membrane must remain sound and flexible to work. It slowly hardens and after  three weeks at ambient it is unreliable. If the egg is put into the frig soon after being laid the membrane hardens and fails in a shorter time, but the cooler temperature stops growth of bacteria so this isn't cause for concern. This suggests that for most of the year they're OK at ambient up to three weeks old then, if you want to keep them longer,  they should be refrigerated.
Probably the only golden rule is never to refrigerate eggs and then take them out and keep them at ambient because the damage has been done to the membrane and the condensation on the shell after taking from the frig helps the bacteria pass through the shell.
Cleaning is another matter, but basically just brushing off any dried dirt is fine, wetting is not. Bear in mind that the dust is contaminated so try not to breath it.

Junie

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 20:58 »
My kitchen is at 27-28 degree C at the moment - so in the fridge for me - would love an eggskelter for the winter though.

xx
Eggs. Fridge or not fridge??

Started by Ceramictiler on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 01:26
by hillfooter
xx
To fridge or not to fridge...

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 11, 2008, 13:39
by Poolfield2
xx
Eggs!! In the fridge or not?

Started by bunch29 on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post November 25, 2011, 16:42
by funkychook
xx
Eggs in the fridge

Started by georget on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 27, 2014, 16:40
by georget

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 28 queries.