Weeds...

• 7 Replies

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
Weeds...
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:42 »
I suspect I'm struggling because the plot was all grass (and weeds) last year and I'm sure people will just tell me to hoe more and to dig weeds out, but there are so many of them! Despite weeding every couple of days I'm definitely not keeping on top of it all and it is getting quite difficult to get between growing plants especially the caged ones. I'm thinking of putting woodchip down between rows and would welcome any other tips, especially views on weed suppressing fabric which I am considering investing in for next year.

ptarmigan

Re: Weeds...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:58 »
Hi

I'm sure there'll be lots of people along to give advice. The main one is stick with it - I'm on year  3 now and the weeds have significantly reduced.  A bit of it is just sticking with it! But also I found putting mulches down, whether that's woodchip (there's some arguments about whether that depletes nitrogen (?or something else) in the soil - but if it makes it easier for you to carry on with a plot I would say that outweighs that), weed suppressant fabric, leaf mould, grass cuttings, seaweed (sensitively gathered in accordance with the rules), newspaper or cardboard.

It'll help keep on top of things. I worked on one area at a time and when it was clear put down a thick layer of mulch, weighted down with stones if necessary.  Then moved on.  It really helped and, as I say, I don't have much of a weed problem in the beds anymore. The paths and round the edges are another matter entirely - and I have to weedkiller and strim to keep the outside edges from getting completely out of control.  Even there though I'm starting to put down weed suppressant fabrics - and that's working.

Also some weeds are OK - the annuals can be quite pretty and attract bees!

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 11:02 »
Its a battle alright rawrecruit i got on top of the docks and deep rooted stuff by digging them up by the roots,but im still fighting chickweed and a few others the chckweed grows so fast.Hoeing in hot weather seems the best way but its time consuming,all the retired lads down on our site have the best plots for no weeds as theyve the time to knock them off every day.
Just keep plodding on i have a bit of a weedy plot but get some good produce out of it,as good as the lads with no weeds theirs look much tidier though  :tongue2:
Id keep away from woodchips myself but the weed suppressant fabric id have no problems with,a petrol strimmer is almost a must on an allotment i think.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 11:05 by maxie »

grinling

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 14:29 »
Some plants will survive well with suppressant, but you will need to put slug pellets under it. You can use for 1st/2nd early potatoes. Weed onions until they are large enough.  I always made netted areas tall enough to get in.
Weeds in 1st year are a pain, but keep picking, doesn't have to be perfect farmers fields aren't.
Autumn time dig over plot taking out roots etc. Some weeds you could hand spray/paint with weedkiller.

simonwatson

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 14:59 »
Take heart. If you stick with it, each year it will get easier. If the plot was a sea of weeds last year, then there'll be millions of seeds in the soil this year. If you keep it up, there will be less next year and so on and so on. Keep going, it's worth it.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 19:37 »
It does get better. We started in 2008 then 2009 for the second and they are vastly improved now but its still hard work and a daily job.

We took on another november last year and by golly dont we know it, a bucket a day per bed i have never grown stuff grow so fast  :ohmy:

Totty

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 21:12 »
If its annual weeds and grasses, I'd strim it right back to bare earth, give it a couple of weeks for any bit of re growth, hoe those off and mulch deeply.

Totty

rawrecruit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 21:42 »
Thanks all I feel a bit heartened now and will keep on ploughing through, and will look up how to do mulching!

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
xx
Weeds!!

Started by Uzzy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2015, 08:48
by Uzzy
xx
Weeds getting the better again

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 21:53
by casper

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 29 queries.