Leeks

• 13 Replies

AlistairMcLennan

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden Plan 2013
Leeks
« on: January 13, 2011, 12:12 »
Hi,

Hoping someone can help regarding an article I read somewhere about when planting on leeks, to put a toilet roll inner longways and put this round the leek, held in place with an elastic band. It said this was to give it more blanch on the stem.

Does anyone have more info or has heard of this method?

Cheers

Alistair
Happiness is trying something new even if it doesnt work.

http://gardenplanner.suttons.co.uk/garden-plan.aspx?p=352012

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 12:25 »
Hi Alistair, personally I don't as I wouldn't be able to save enough loo rolls!

There are a lot that do and no doubt they will reply, but if you put " leeks toilet roll" into a forum search, you'll get a lot of hits.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:27 »
Yes, there is many different methods for blanching stems, earthing up like spuds etc. I tend not to bother as I like to see colour on the plate, nowt worse than a plate of anemic veg.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 12:54 »
nowt worse than a plate of anemic veg.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 16:35 »
Hoping someone can help regarding an article I read somewhere about when planting on leeks, to put a toilet roll inner longways and put this round the leek, held in place with an elastic band.

In olden times Leeks were planted in trenches , and then earthen up as the season progress to blanch more of the stem.

This is a bit of a faff, and is also likely to get soil into the top, growing part, of the Leek - which then stays-put all the way until the Leek is on the plate - and is gritty to have to eat :(

Nowadays I expect most people plant their Leeks with a dibber - making a whole 6" deep or so, popping the Leek in (watering the hole, but not back=filling with soil to keep it out of the growing end).

To get more blanched stem length, once the Leek has grown some more and is tall enough (i.e. not when you first plant them) you can pop a Loo Roll Over the plant which excludes light.  A bit later on you could, if you want, just crimp or bend the bottom of another Loo Roll such that when you add that on top it "mates" with the first one, rather than sliding down.

I don't think you will nee elastic bands as the Leek plant should keep them in place (maybe the idea of the elastic band is to seal the top to exclude more light.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 16:45 »
when I dibbed leeks into raised beds in the garden, I found that during the course of the summer the soil/comost mix slumped. I popped toilet roll tubes over them to get enough blanched stem.
I don't have to do that on the allotment, cos I can dib them deep enough :)

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 17:01 »
Hiya

When I planted out my scrawny little leek babies I just dibbed a hole, filled it with water and let them sink right down into hole, really quite deeply.

We've grown gorgeous big leeks and I'm definititely going to do the same this year.

I'm a bit wary of chemicals of the loo roll from the glue, etc...?

Herbie
herbiegrowsbananas

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 20:59 »
I can't see the point of the loo roll or any other blanching method if you just want leeks for the table. I dib mine into holes 6-9 inches deep and with the bit out of the soil they usually end up with a foot or so of nicely blanched leek. Don't forget that you can use the leaves in soups, etc. There's nowt wrong with them.

AlistairMcLennan

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden Plan 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 11:08 »
Hi folks,

Thanks for all your replies.  I now need an excuse for the wife of why I have been saving loo rolls for the past 3 months  ???

Okies, so just need to make the hole with the dibber deep enough and let the soil gradually fill the hole.

allanpilgrim

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 11:15 »
I have used toilet rolls to blanch leeks for years it worked fine when we lived in Essex...but in Cornwall the damp soon rotted them away.
It does keep them nice and clean though.

Sue33

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 11:16 »

Hi Alistair,

I tried both methods last year and to be honest there really wasn't any difference, not going to bother this year, hope that helps  :)

AlistairMcLennan

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden Plan 2013
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 11:16 »
Allan,

Did you use the rolls after the soil had settled round the leek and the leek had grown a bit more or as you are planting out?

AlistairMcLennan

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden Plan 2013
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 11:18 »
Thanks Sue,

You know when you read something then try to remember what you read!!!  I turn 40 in a months time so think I memory us already going  lol

allanpilgrim

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 15:58 »
Allan,

Did you use the rolls after the soil had settled round the leek and the leek had grown a bit more or as you are planting out?

After they settled...

xx
leeks

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 10, 2006, 09:46
by mellowmick
xx
Leeks

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2013, 12:11
by LilacSandy
xx
leeks

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post October 07, 2007, 03:07
by leeky
xx
Leeks

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2011, 18:37
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 32 queries.