Leeks

• 6 Replies

Benandbill

Leeks
« on: June 23, 2013, 07:41 »
I've planted out 38 in 3 rows just under a foot apart and between rows so I can fit them in a raised bed.  However, I note that a few people on our site are putting them in trenches.  Are there any great advantages to doing it that way, and if so, could anyone venture a forecast as to the fate of my lowly, un trenched leeks?  :unsure:

Yana

Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 07:57 »
I've grown leeks both ways B&B and didn't seem like any difference. The trick (as far as I am aware) is to make sure that you dib them in deep as this is the bit that stays white and then they can be earthed up to make the white bit even longer. I guess that is what a trench does in that it will be filled in over time.
I wish I had space for the leeks........ With the slow start this year my allocated space for the leeks still has stuff in.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:35 »
I always have the problem of waiting for a vacant bed for leeks as I like them to follow first early potatoes and they have a habit of taking longer than they are supposed to.   I now grow Bleu de Solaise leeks.   This variety is quite late and doesn't seem to mind going in the ground in mid to late July.  They still bulk up nicely and are very hardy too, they have lasted through the last couple of winters without bolting. 

Yana

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 10:21 »
I was going to put the leeks where the broad beans are as I haven't got potatoes in the plot this year. I've opted for growing some in planters started off in the greenhouse.
Is it ok to follow beans with leeks?

Benandbill

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 12:01 »
Thanks both for your replies, I understand now.  I wonder if, perhaps, I might have been over eager in getting them in as yours don't seem to be going out for a while.  I guess in time I shall find out, one thing's for sure I won't be getting very long white bits  :blush:

LilacSandy

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:10 »
Mine went in last week so you are fine putting them out now.  You can still get white shafts by either earthing them up as they grow, or covering the shaft with something like a toilet roll inner, you just need to exclude light.  The inners will look very big over them at the moment but the shaft will grow to fill them in time.

LilacSandy

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 12:11 »
Forgot to say that you need to be careful when earthing up that you do not get dirt in between the leaves as this is difficult to wash out.

xx
Leeks

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 30, 2018, 14:54
by Goosegirl
xx
Leeks

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2011, 18:37
by sunshineband
xx
Leeks

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

54 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 18:39
by Paul Plots
clip
Leeks

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2017, 11:05
by al78

Page created in 0.575 seconds with 37 queries.