Blood on Eggs

• 7 Replies

Prod

Blood on Eggs
« on: April 23, 2012, 15:55 »
And another daft question.......  :wacko:I have a Buff Sussex (Bernard)  who is a lovely looking bird. I got here as a POL with the other 4 8weeks ago  but unlike the others she does not lay every day. Today was her third egg  but it was smeared with what I think is blood.  I checked her lady bits and she looks ok, is eating drinking etc.  I know some eggs which are coloured have the pigment attached as the hen lays.  Am I worrying too much  again???? ???

PaulineM

Re: Blood on Eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 16:05 »
Hi

Can you post a picture of the egg, so we can guess if its blood or just pigment.
Some girls only lay every other day or so, maybe Bernard will be one  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Prod

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 16:32 »
oops  already washed it & put in fridge!!! :wub:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 16:37 »
I have had occasional first eggs smeared with a little blood but it is only the first 1-2 in my experience. Might just be this.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Prod

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 17:13 »
It wasnt a lot and I know it wasnt No 2's   She seems perky enough so I will just keep an eye on her.  Its just my Columbian Black has laid 3 huge eggs all over 3 1/2 inches long and they were cleans as a whistle.    I guess when you are new to keeping chickens it takes time to work out what is serious and what is not  Thanks for the answers guys :)

Prod

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 17:15 »
ps.   her real name ia Audrey as in Hepburn cos she is  pretty with her black necklace  but she has legs like a turkey  so hence Bernard....... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

kegs

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 18:22 »
I had this with one of mine too so I gave her some cod liver oil for a few days, cut back on the treats and it seemed to clear up. 

Prod

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 19:12 »
Thanks    regarding treats   I give mine some corn in the evening to get them back into the fenced area I just rattle the jug and they come running!!!  I also give them dried porridge oats  every couple of days, again just a handfull.  But what they really like is apple.  I slice it up and they take it from my hand. They are like a flock of feathered piranhas!!!!! :wub:

xx
Blood in eggs

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 11:12
by Tattyanne456
xx
blood in eggs

Started by lord croaker on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2010, 09:28
by lord croaker
xx
Blood in eggs

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post December 07, 2006, 13:43
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
Blood on Eggs

Started by Timbo47 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 22, 2009, 20:56
by Timbo47

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 37 queries.