Help - New 1 week old chicks arriving next week!

• 6 Replies

Stablechooks

Help - New 1 week old chicks arriving next week!
« on: September 12, 2009, 09:12 »
We never do things by halves! We are first time Chicken Keepers. Our new additions to the family 4 Chickens and 1 Cock arrive next week. Mum decided to add 2 1-week old chicks for the Kids to raise.  Have been told that we will need an electric hen to keep the chicks warm and we are going out to get a small rabbit hutch to contain them in the garage -which has lots of natural light. 

What else do we need to worry about? Any advice grateful !
Learning... always learning!

Casey76

Re: Help - New 1 week old chicks arriving next week!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 10:23 »
A large box would be better than a rabbit hutch.  Something with high sides to keep out the draughts.

Bearing in mind the time of year, you will have to wean them off heat very gradually as it will almost be into November before they will be ready to go outside, and that might be a bit of a shock to the system.

How old are your kids?  Raising chicks is fun, but it is also a great responsibility.  They have to be cleaned regularly (I did mine at least twice a day, but I had 8 not 2), shallow bowls filled with marbles and water must be changed regularly (as chicks will foul the water very easily).  Do you already have chick crumbs?  Will you be getting medicated or unmedicated?  As you are getting 5 adult hens I would probably get medicated as it is almost guaranteed that the adults are carrying coccidiosis, and this can be fatal in a very short space of time - i.e. less than 24 hours - to chicks.

You must ensure that you clean your hands thoroughly between the adults and the chicks, even if you have just been collecting eggs.

Also, you say you are getting a cock.  Have you ever had a cock bird before?  Are you aware that they crow, not only in the morning, but all through the day too?  Also, depending on the bird, it may not only be one cockadoodledoo, but he may crow for minutes at a time.

So sorry if you are old hands, and I'm teaching granny to suck eggs...

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 10:46 »
Hi Stablechooks,
I agree with Casey76, a box with a heat lamp would be better.
Is there a reason why you are only get two chicks? what will happen if one of them dies?
it is very risky this time of year because of te colder nights, and as Casey76 said it will be November by the time you can get them outside, they will have to be on their own for a while because they will be to small to mix with your older chickens, personally I would think you would be better off waiting until the spring for chicks, maybe one of your hens will go broody and you could hatch your own, this is a much nicer experience for the children.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 14:28 »
Agree with all above, 4 or 5 would be a far more sensible number, they can cuddle up when they do come off heat (and coming off heat) and are out in the coup, plus this accounts for losses as already mentioned. :)

Stablechooks

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 18:10 »
Brilliant advice folks  :)- needed some impartial input into this domestic decision. Having considered the advice we will not go with the chicks and get 6 months of dealing with the Chickens under our belt first. Like the idea of a broody hen doing all the work.

Yep  -fully aware of Cock's noise - we have a squad of feral Peacocks near us and they can make a din all night if disturbed.

Thanks for the speedy responses folks.

Stablechook (cock)!

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 21:13 »
Think that is a very sensible decision. Chicks always seem like a cute idea but the need a lot more knowledge and care than adults. Also there is nothing more beautiful than watching a mum with her chicks!!!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Poolfield2

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 23:16 »
I think you have been very wise, it would upset children if you lost chicks due to inexperience. I have had a broody hatch a clutch of eggs for the last two years, my girls seem to go broody in April/May and it as been a delightful experience seeing the new babies and watching how quickly Mum teaches them all they need to know. She looks after them for a couple of months intensively and then keeps a watchful eye and ear on them for quite some time after. It really is easier than the incubator/heatlamp route and it will give you plenty of time to gather all you need to prepare.

Good luck with the chicken keeping it is a real pleasure and they are great company when you are gardening :D

xx
Integrating 4 week and 3 week chicks

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 08:19
by Chickway
xx
Turkeys arriving in the next week. Need advice on house/run.

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 21:47
by joyfull
xx
Can I put my 6 week chicks outside now?

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 16:40
by Chickway
xx
2 week old chicks

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 15:49
by animal mad

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 29 queries.