Keeping compost bins wet?

• 10 Replies

Yana

Keeping compost bins wet?
« on: January 16, 2014, 07:59 »
After filling a compost bin just before Christmas, I duly covered it with an old tarpaulin and weighted this down with a pallet and some old bricks. My thinking was that the tarpaulin will keep the contents protected from the rain and help the heap stay warm aiding decomposition of the stuff inside.
I've been 'advised' by a fellow plot holder that I should have watered it well before closing it up and water it regularly over the next year as the water is crucial for the decomposition to work. The heap was wet enough I thought and didn't realise I should be watering it regularly.
I have an 'in use' bin that again I have been advised to water but surely after the rain there has been I don't need to add anymore water??  :(
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Topscaff

• Experienced Member
Re: Keeping compost bins wet?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 08:11 »
Hi I never put water on mine they always seem wet enough but I use the plastic bins if that makes any difference I don't know, looked at mine the other day and the worms are loving it so I will leave well alone, Topscaff
Mike Rixon

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 08:28 »
I only water mine if it appears very dry or I have put lots of dry prunings on it for instance.dig a hole in the middle & assess how it feels.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:43 »
No dont add water. You do need to cover from rain or you will end up with a soggy slimy mess. All the greens you add have enough water.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:46 »
Snowdrops advice is good. The mix needs to be kept moist for faster decomposition. The bins on my plot dry out easily, they are covered but have open slatted sides. Even, the uncovered ones on the other plot I help with are rarely moist and dry out. The contents don't want to be constantly very wet as you will just get slime, nutritious slime it is true, but not very pleasant or easy to use! Think used tea bag as a rough moisture guide.   :)

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 08:47 »
They do dry out sometimes, despite being covered and despite having greens in them. You can see if the contents are too dry, this is usually in hot weather though and not in winter.  In winter your bin is slumbering, doing its thing til the sun comes out, when it will heat up

The dalek bins are less prone to drying out than a larger heap, say in a pallet type arrangement, where there is a larger surface area  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 09:42 »
Assuming they weren't already too dry to start off with, covered compost heaps and daleks tend to dry out from the outside, although not in winter as CQ has said.

I've been trying out my Christmas present Dolmen corkscrew compost stirrer - it's pretty good for mixing up and aerating the compost, and you can water any dry bits as necessary as you do so (just don't get too ambitious and try to heave up half of Bondi beach all at once - it may suddenly pull out a bit quicker than you expect and do you a mischief!  ::)  :nowink:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:01 »
Assuming they weren't already too dry to start off with, covered compost heaps and daleks tend to dry out from the outside, although not in winter as CQ has said.

I've been trying out my Christmas present Dolmen corkscrew compost stirrer - it's pretty good for mixing up and aerating the compost, and you can water any dry bits as necessary as you do so (just don't get too ambitious and try to heave up half of Bondi beach all at once - it may suddenly pull out a bit quicker than you expect and do you a mischief!  ::)  :nowink:)
:D :D Yes, that is something I forgot about!  I find a good stir with that keeps everything nicely moistened. I don't like to use mine in my dalek at the moment though as I have mice in there and don't want to do them any harm! Still, they are probably doing the mixing for me!

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 10:19 »
They sure are Ann!  They will tunnel through it for you and do a thoroughly good job. If you leave them to get on with it they will turn it into finished compost for you. It's amazing to see when you lift the lid.  Totally broken down compost that resembles Swiss cheese.  I love it!   :D

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 11:46 »
i've found using the old school method of covering with carpet works the best. it seems to let enough water/ moisture in whilst stopping the moisture escaping.

and best of all there's plenty of old carpet available for free.

Yana

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 14:46 »
I've tested both bins today (made from pallets with plastic lining) and they are not too dry so I'm going to leave be for at least another month. I'll have a look then and see how the compost production is fairing.
I use a good mix of green and brown waste and I always dampen the bin down after adding a load of shredded paper.
Thanks all for your advice.  :)

xx
Compost Bins

Started by Sir Lance-Allot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 18:24
by joshwain
xx
compost bins?

Started by krystal on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 08:00
by daisy1990
xx
Compost Bins

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 21:50
by Swing Swang
xx
Dalek compost bins

Started by Babstreefern on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 01:14
by penninehillbilly

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 36 queries.