Guy Fawkes Night

• 4 Replies

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
Guy Fawkes Night
« on: October 07, 2010, 17:31 »
My girls are urban hens and due to have their first fireworks night. They are not keen on noise - they even run from the lawnmower, which is totally irrational as I haven't even asked them once to push it round the garden.

Their coop which is now in a 12" x 8" shed, thanks to the constant attentions of Fantastic Mr Fox, so they can stretch their legs and have access to food and water without being let outside. (Although this is more theory than practice for if not released early enough into the garden they make their displeasure felt.)

Would it be worth actually closing the coop up, or would they be OK in the shed? And do I keep them confined to quarters over the weekend? Can I do anything to distract them from all the bangs, such as a tub of worms?

ehs284

Re: Guy Fawkes Night
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 18:52 »
Sorry, can't help. Our monkeys would be out helping set off the fireworks if you let them.
Actually most birds don't worry too much about noise, perhaps yours are reacting to shape, shadow or just your complaints as you push it around.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 18:56 »
once they are shut in their coop and asleep they will not hear the fire works and will sleep through it. It is only when idiots set them off during the day that can be the problem  >:(
Staffies are softer than you think.

jinty1911

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 19:03 »
Ha ha that funny.   :D  :D Am sure my step-son has the same attitude towards our lawn mower and deliberately makes a mess of the lawn so he doesnt get asked to do it again. Wrong  :mad:
I am in the same position as you.  The problem we have is that the bangers start going off 2 weeks before Guy Fawkes and last for another 2 weeks after.  The wee * have even ripped fences out of gardens and steal Wheelie bins for their bonfire.  Just hope I can get my wee chicks comfy and cosy in house.  Might throw a couple of blankets over them and hope it insulate the noise.
Jinty  

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 20:38 »
Thanks for the advice. The blanket sounds like a good idea, I'll try an old duvet I was keeping for winter warmth.

Seriously, they don't like the mower. Not only is it an attractive bright orange, but the minute they see it they leg it to the bottom of the garden, or under a bramble patch. (Oh, the fun we had!) At the mo I have to drape an old duvet cover otherwise they won't go into the shed. (The rest of the gardening equipment is currently in a storage facility called the kitchen pantry.) The last time I cut the grass Nibbles ran under the brambles and the others tucked themselves under the kitchen table.

Thank heavens for lino and plastic tablecloths!

(And bleach!)

Normally Guy Fawkes in my neighbourhood resembles the Somme, but last year (fingers crossed) it wasn't so bad. I think I'll play it by ear and err towards keeping them in their shed. At least it's a weekend and I'll be home.... Any more suggestions more than welcome, though.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 20:55 by Pertelotte »

xx
Egg at night

Started by ctayts on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 16:18
by ctayts
xx
Run access at night?

Started by sarahab on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 17:52
by ANHBUC
xx
Food in the run at night?

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 16:02
by judesailor
xx
Night times

Started by Raven81 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 06:44
by terri

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 30 queries.