First early, no spuds yet

• 19 Replies

hubballi

First early, no spuds yet
« on: June 05, 2010, 08:53 »
I planted Vales Emerald in bags and have fed and watered accordingly. The flowers have been around for a couple of days but when I open the  door on the bag there are no potatoes. Just small white tips on the roots.

Is this too early to expect a crop ?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: First early, no spuds yet
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:46 »
what you been feeding them on, sounds like to high a nitrogen content, you should have plenty of tubers by the time flowering arrives.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:49 »
patience! if they are flowering, give them lots of water (withour flooding them) it won't be long before they are ready
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

solway cropper

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 22:40 »
Try furtling around from the top of the bag. I have loads growing in an assortment of bags/containers and it's easy to find the tubers just under the surface of the compost.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 13:52 »
You have doors on your bags?  I WANT SOME LIKE THAT!!

My Arran Pilot only produced spuds at the very bottom (I grew them because they are extremely early IME but I'm now thinking they achieve this by only "fruiting" at the bottom of their stems.)

Anyway, furtling pretty much did-for the plants ... so I was thinking of varieties which "fruit" nearer the surface in future ... but DOORS on my bags?  That would be a solution!!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 16:03 »
You have doors on your bags?  I WANT SOME LIKE THAT!!

My Arran Pilot only produced spuds at the very bottom (I grew them because they are extremely early IME but I'm now thinking they achieve this by only "fruiting" at the bottom of their stems.)

Anyway, furtling pretty much did-for the plants ... so I was thinking of varieties which "fruit" nearer the surface in future ... but DOORS on my bags?  That would be a solution!!

The door opens into a lift that takes you down to 'lower ground' level. Very posh!  :D

hubballi

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 10:59 »
This is so disappointing. I have rooted around the tops and nothing as well as the bottom NOTHING. I have fed with Comfy leaves and horse manure as well as chicken manure. Surely I should have something by now ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 11:42 »
It depend when you planted them?

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 12:52 »
My Vales Emeralds were extremely poor in bags. I couldn't get Charlottes this year and these were meant to be the substitutes. I got about 8oz of tiny tiny spuds, despite watering as I normally do.

Annabelle (another first early) on the other hand have just given me 2lb 9oz of lovely spuds, and were treated in exactly the same way, only being harvested 1 week later.

Oh BTW the Vales Emeralds flowered but the Annabelle didn't.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 13:27 »
I got Rocket spuds the size of tennis balls  :lol:was most shocked when i had a furtle.
Thanks
Kris

maverick

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 15:14 »
I had a little furtle amongst my bags of Pentaland Javelin earlier in the week. I found 'one' about the size of a broad bean  :ohmy: They went in around the first week of April, so I know it's a bit early, but surely there should be lots of small spuds by now?? I didn't go down too deep because I didn't want to disturb anything!

butterfly blue

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 15:55 »
I have 2 bags of vales emeralds and i had a quick rumage the other day, couldn't feel a thing! :mad:. At what stage do i give up? :blush:
Kelly x

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 16:42 »
I have 2 bags of vales emeralds and i had a quick rumage the other day, couldn't feel a thing! :mad:. At what stage do i give up? :blush:

When the tops die down and you still haven't got anything!  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

butterfly blue

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 18:25 »

When the tops die down and you still haven't got anything!  :wacko:

Stands to reason!  thank you... i'm tired brain stops workin, too many weeds at 5am  :closedeyes:

hubballi

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 09:56 »
Still nothing. This is ridiculous. Only one the size of a pea. Never ever ever again will I plant Vales Emerald.

xx
early spuds?

Started by jimmytheshed on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 17:09
by Iain@JBA
xx
first early spuds

Started by clarkey95 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:12
by mumofstig
xx
2nd Early Spuds

Started by Bluebell007 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 16:57
by Bluebell007
xx
early spuds

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 12, 2006, 22:52
by John

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 30 queries.