Poorly chicken

• 5 Replies

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
Poorly chicken
« on: May 25, 2010, 20:05 »
My Legbar is not herself today, she is still interested in food, but after eating goes off and stands in a corner. She has had a dirty bum, which I needed to trim last weekend. She has very red wattles and a red bottom, does she have a temperature, how do I check? She is nodding off to sleep and her tail is down - she is not right. I thought she was limping at the weekend but wasn't sure. Any suggestion? What should I do?

She probably needs worming again, I use Verm-X for chickens, I need to do them again. She is my son's chicken and all he talks about...  :( She has rather runny whitish poo, and a temperature I'm sure, is there anything that will help lower this?

Pretty Chick

Re: Poorly chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 20:17 »
does she have a temperature, how do I check?

You could try feeling under her wings to see if her temperature is higher than the other hens'.
Maybe a trip to the vets is needed.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you more and better advice than mine.
Best wishes and hope she recovers  :)
All lives are precious.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 20:22 »
Ok, chickens hide their illness very well, so generally when you see that they are unwell they are normally feeling really grotty. The easiest way to see if a chuck has a temp nis to feel under her wing, then compare it with a healthy girl. Chickens temps normally run quite high (around 39.4) so she will feel warm to you which is why its important to compare. Verm x is really just a laxative, it dosent kill the worms. Lots of people on here use flubenvet. Its a very good wormer, you can but it from your vets or google it and it will come up with a list of stockist. You dont need a script, and there is no egg withdrawel.The hot weather can give them runny poo, as can worms, have you looked at Aunty's poo pages :tongue2:?if she was my chicken i would take her to the vets, it could be something as simple as a heavy worm burden, but it could be something more as chucks do hide their illness like i say, and you can loose them quite quickly :(. let us know what happens, and what you decide to do :)

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 21:09 »
Thanks, I am home early from work tomorrow, so if she is no better I will take her to the vet.

Icklemonkey

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 22:13 »
Please take her to a vet ASAP as we have just lost one of ours and it all happened very quickly.  I don't mean to be morbid, I just wouldn't want the same to happen to you x

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 17:11 »
Got home early and she is much better - thank goodness! She is running after the corn, preening and pecking about in the garden, phew. I will get some better worming stuff at the weekend though. My son is really pleased his girl seems ok again.  :nowink:  I shall be keeping a close eye on her as well as our lovely little chicks who have now been brought out by their mums!
Thanks for the advice

xx
PLEASE HELP - POORLY CHICKEN

Started by Gemjt on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 19:04
by ANHBUC
xx
poorly chicken, I think.

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2012, 16:17
by crowndale
xx
Poorly chicken - help please.

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 22:48
by ANHBUC
xx
poorly chicken? please help

Started by ma baker on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 09:58
by ma baker

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 28 queries.