Rotation

• 14 Replies

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
Rotation
« on: September 18, 2009, 20:10 »
Hi all, I said there would be questions....... ::) :D

I'm trying to plan next years plot so I know what i'm doing to prepare this year. I've been reading up on crop rotation and trying to split the plot into 3 but the problem is most of the the things I want to grow in quantity appear to be from the same 'rotation' namely potatoes, carrots, parsnips and onions.

By the time I've got that lot in I've used half of the plot! which leaves two quarters for the other two rotations. Is there anything I can do about that or should I just rein in on the potatoes etc and get used to eating other things in there place (maybe look up some recipes that substitue turnips or swede or something?! :lol:)

pushrod

Re: Rotation
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 20:39 »
As long as they stay disease free you don't have to rotate onions.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Bombers

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 20:47 »
I'm going to have to disagree with you there Pushrod. Please see Here

Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 20:49 »
Have a look here it might explain things, in an easy format.

link

As you can see, potatoes take one third of the plot, brassicas (including swede) take up one third, and everything else (carrots/parsnips/onions etc) has the bit that's left. Then you just move them along one place every year. So all you need to do is work out what brassicas you fancy growing.... :)

Bombers

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 20:51 »
That's what I was looking for  ::) Thanks MOS! (quick on the draw as usual).

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 21:01 »
Thanks all.

I was under the impression (it's dangerous.......reading!) that potatoes, carrots and parsnips were the same rotation. From what you've said they're not which is great news means that I will finally be able to split the plot into 3 as the potatoes take up a third by default anyway!

pushrod

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 21:10 »
I'm going to have to disagree with you there Pushrod. Please see Here

No probs with any one disagreeing with me, and yes good rotation will help prevent disease.
Rotating vegetables around one plot will probably work with regard to soil nutrients, but i am not sure that it would be enough to prevent the spread of disease. If the same type of veg are being grown but just in a different corner of the same plot many diseases will be able to spread around the plot.

However you will find that if you want to grow big onions, experts like Lovell Hill recommended that you grow them in the same bed year on year to build up a really quality, fertile soil. (Obviously you have to prepare the soil each year) I have had mine in the same position for five years without problems.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 23:48 »
Thanks all.

I was under the impression (it's dangerous.......reading!) that potatoes, carrots and parsnips were the same rotation. From what you've said they're not which is great news means that I will finally be able to split the plot into 3 as the potatoes take up a third by default anyway!

Rotation plans can sometimes differ.  Carrots and parsnips are the same family of veggies, but different from spuds.  However, they may often be generically grouped together as root crops.  The only trouble with grouping these three together is that carrots and parsnips really don't like manure to be applied, whereas spuds do.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mr McGregor

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 09:15 »
I'm just starting to clear a recently aquired plot and I've decided to have four main beds (each 6 x 5 mts). The plan I want to work to is:
Bed 1.     Potatoes
Bed 2.     Onions and other roots
Bed 3.     Brassicas
Bed 4.     Legumes

After the potatoe crop this is the bed that will be manured, so that in the four year cycle all beds will have received decent pile of the smelly stuff. Though I will be adding some additional to help beans etc. in the short term

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 16:48 »
I don't suppose it makes much difference in the grand scheme of things but it is usual to have the brassicas after the legumes as they love the nitrogen from the nodules on the pea/bean roots which can be left in situ, and the soil not dug, as brassicas also appreciate very firm soil.
Just a thought which may help :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 09:54 »
"and the soil not dug,"

Hadn't thought of not digging the Peas and Beans bed, I was going to rotavate some muck in shortly, and then leave until the spring.

I could trample it down after rotavating I suppose ...

Would I be better off not disturbing it at all? (Saves a job after all :) ).

If so should I spread some muck on the top and let the worms do the work?

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 11:59 »
I stick the manure on the top and let mother nature do its job over the winter. No manure for me again this year though :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 16:45 »
Would I be better off not disturbing it at all? (Saves a job after all  ).

I recently read a Bob Flowerdew book and that's what he said he does. I thought 'if it's good enough for Bob'...... so I've planted my cabbages straight in there........growing fine so far :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 16:52 »
Here's someone else who doesn't dig after peas :D
From Frilly brussel sprout thread. DD.Next year they'll be going in where the peas were, the ground is very solid there & it saves having to winter dig it.

So it must work  :lol:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 07:43 »
Sorted! I'll not dig this year's Peas and Beans bed this Autumn, just spread some muck on it, and plant the Brassicas straight into it next year and see how I get on. Thanks.

xx
Rotation

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2007, 13:15
by muntjac
xx
Rotation

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 12:47
by Weedy Wonder
xx
Rotation

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 16:53
by GardenShed
xx
Bed rotation

Started by Diddy Gardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 15:46
by simonwatson

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 30 queries.