When to buy your chooks

• 5 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
When to buy your chooks
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:58 »
We are just finishing making the hen house and then need to put the run together. Hubby is working so doesn't have as much time to sort things which means that it will probably take a few weeks for everything to be finished ready to take in some chooks.

My question is .......

Is there a wrong time of year to be getting your girlies especially now as winter is fast approaching. Shpuld we wait until the spring or does it not really matter when you get them.  :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: When to buy your chooks
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:12 »
no best time of year if your buying POL is now IMHO
Spring born birds usually become POL oct time they will usually lay straight thro the winter and also miss the Autumn moult. So I think they are a better bird to buy  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 19:54 »
Personally if it was me and your coup and run is all done I would get POL now. They may start laying straight away so will keep laying through this winter (not every day but perhaps 3 or 4 eggs each a week). You have a couple of months before any snow may come  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

matilda duck

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 20:30 »
If it helps I had my first 4 x POL at the end of Sept.  They are just the best!  They started laying October ish and havn't really stopped.  They are in the middle of a moult now and still laying ::).
 If you get them now, by the time winter comes with it's cold and wet and icy weather, you will be so excited about the girls you will forget how cold it is.  The first winter makes you a chicken keeper! ;)
Get them ASAP me thinks :nowink:

raeburg

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 21:13 »
That first winter of being out at first light (or not even that) and breaking the ice on the water or getting soaked in a torrential cold and windy downpour.  Ahh the joys of chicken keeping :)

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 05:34 »
If you are getting POL then you can get them now but winter is the worst time for you to be starting as novice keepers and I generally recommend starting with POL late March through to May when the weather is much better and the hens will be in steady lay and you will be more experienced when the more challenging weather comes.
Regards
Truth through science.

xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad
xx
chooks?

Started by chickchick on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 13, 2008, 19:20
by hazelize_uk
xx
What do chooks like to eat

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 13:54
by too many girls
xx
Wet chooks

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 11:54
by SusieB

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 30 queries.