I need answers

• 12 Replies

chickerun

I need answers
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:29 »
Hi everyone,

Have just got  4 chicks-

I bought them at the pets corner at a nearby family theme park they were being kept in a large barn in a small enclosure with just a small shelter to cuddle up in -thus not exactly warm. They are supposed to be approx. 3wks old although I wonder whether they're older as 3 have small tail feathers etc.

When can they go outside in their hen house?
-I put them in a box in the garage last night and they spent a few hours in their hen house outside yesterday and all seemed happy- are they too young for this?

Feed-I'm giving them chick crumbs is this ok?

Do they need a dust bath?

Any other advice appreciated -thanks

raeburg

Re: I need answers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:38 »
If they are 3 weeks they will still need some heat especially at night.  Chick crumb is the right food for them until they are 6 weeks then they will need a growers formula.  As long as they can get to shelter in the day and it's not cold they are OK to go out but bring them in and give heat at night.  Hope this helps a bit.  What sort of chicks are they?

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:48 »
Definately need heat still! i wouldnt put them outside till they are fully feathered as the weather is still so un-predictable! sure everyone would love to see photos  :D
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 18:57 »
Hi chickerun and welcome. :)

Well done for giving them a better home than they obviously had.

Where in the world are you ? You can put your location in your profile so we can tailor advice to your locale. :)

Rob 8)

chickerun

Urgent Help PLEASE
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 14:30 »
Hi ,
thanks for the advice so far-my little girls/boys have been doing really well.
I fixed up a 60w bulb to keep them all warm and they've all been eating/drinking until this am . One of them has become very lethargic,laboured breathing and doesn't seem to be eating/drinking.I've moved her out of the hen house to a box in my garage where she is just sitting under a 60w bulb sleeping. Her poo looks normal-not runny or of an odd colour.

What can I give her to help?

I've removed your other topic as it is just a repeat of this post - Aunty
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 14:40 by Aunt Sally »

Vember

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 14:35 »
Do you know what temp it is under the bulb? Might it be it's too hot?

Is it's botty clean no sign of any dried on poos?

Sarah :)

chickerun

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 14:45 »
Hi ,

Botty looks very clean and there's enough room for her in the box to move away from the light-I've angled it on just one corner.
All the chicks have been in a hen house outside with a 60w and outside run access when the sun has been out-it's very warm here today and the other 3 are running around like crazy having a great time. I placed her back inside this am because I was worried that she had got cold and needed warming-have just checked on her again and no improvement.
Is there anything I can buy in Mole Valley Farmers/Countrywide -Could she have worms or enteritis?

Vember

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 14:54 »
They need a temp of approx 28c at 3 weeks if they've been in a large area then maybe a 60 watt bulb isn't enough ??? Missed the bit about them being outside before sorry  :blush:

Where were they housed before you got them, indoors or out?

I doubt it could be worms at such a young age.

chickerun

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 15:07 »
They were in a pen in a  very big barn with no light /house. There must of been at least 15-20 chicks.

Vember

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 15:15 »
It's tricky without actually seeing :)

But to be honest I wouldn't have mine out all day at 3 weeks. Maybe an odd half hour, it is warm today admittedly but not so when your standing around on grass. If they had a mum they'd still snuggle under her at that age :)

Hard boil an egg and give the poorly one the yolk once it's cooled see if that encourages it to eat.

Apart from that all I can suggest is you keep it warm and try popping it's beak in the water a little to try and encourage it to drink :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 15:40 »
My chicks are nearly 4 weeks now and stillunder heat lamps.  Although today I've turned them off for a while as it is very warm in the shed.  Their heat is averaging 25C at the moment.  They won't go out for another week or 2 at least.

I think it's wrong for these places to have little chicks like that when they obviously don't know how to look after them.  I hope your little one is okay.

When I get a poorly little chick, I soak some chick crumb in a little warm water until fairly mushy, then mix it with a little bio yoghurt.  Sometimes they will eat that.  I've even made it quite watery and fed it to them in a dropper, but not forcing it down their throats, just holding the dropper to their mouths and hopefully they will drink a few drops.

Good luck with it!!!!!

chickerun

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 08:41 »
Hi ,

My chick pulled through, it loved the chick crumbs in bio yoghurt and I used a small syringe to keep it drinking. I've increased the heat in the hen house as I'm guessing that although the others have all been ok it wasn't warm enough.

Thanks for the good advice!

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 08:57 »
Good news chickerun  :D

Photos will be needed at some point  ;) :)

Rob 8)

xx
looking for answers?!!

Started by stormyskye on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 08:46
by Sassy
xx
Devastated Chicken Mum would like answers

Started by Nellies on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 23:18
by Brushcutter
xx
how to control rats???? answers please

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 21:40
by wooley1000

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 32 queries.