Building a lean-to greenhouse

• 74 Replies

Stree

Re: Building a lean-to greenhouse
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 21:35 »
Thanks Kristen.
Been busy this last week or so and had no time to fiddle about with pics, but hopefully I can post a few now. ( I can`t find a sticky of posting pics so I will bear in mind the 128k you mention )

2 pics as a reminder of what it was like and then the progress.
DSC03530.jpg

Stree

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 21:37 »
hmm only one pic out of three. Try again
DSC03272.jpg

Stree

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2009, 21:39 »
stil only managing one at a time even though they are quite small now.......... Try again !
DSC03536_renamed_23319.jpg
DSC03538_renamed_26555.jpg
DSC03541_renamed_5289.jpg

Stree

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2009, 21:42 »
Aha!

The brickwork has started here, design changes on the fly.......
DSC03542_renamed_17187.jpg
DSC03543_renamed_25569.jpg
DSC03546.jpg

Stree

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2009, 21:50 »
The greenhouse base material has been decided in the last week as well, been offered a trailer load of block paving which will be enough to do inside the greenhouse and the area outside..................

I have decided to run the downspout and rainwater pipe inside the building and out of the side and place the water butt there, to keep the front clear.( plastic water butts are ugly ! Useful but ugly )

a piece of 4 inch X 4inch angle iron for the doorway was going to cost about 60 quid, and a cheaper concrete one would look awful, so I decided to use what we had hence the soldiers arch. This will be glazed once the former is out, and the former used on the other half when the brickwork gets that far
DSC03580.jpg
DSC03581.jpg
DSC03582.jpg

Stree

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2009, 21:55 »
The doorway is not standard size because of girder work inside the building, so buying a door to fit was a nono. So I have made one, a chunky stable door which is only softwood but will be fine as technically it will be an internal door....... Traditional mortice and teneon with drawn oak pegs. Those are the little squares near the joints.
Makes for a strong door.........
and a pic of how it looks from the house..................
DSC03583.jpg
DSC03665.jpg
DSC03584.jpg

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 06:25 »
This is really going to be a gem when its all done, your making it look fab so far
Thanks
Kris

Stree

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2009, 23:01 »
Moving along a bit, in between showers and having to work for a living...........Using Forest green wood stain / preservative  and a top coat of Baufix clear preservative from Lidl. Both waterbased, so no smell and easy to clean up.#Decided to board the top of the gable, not much point glazing it, its only a storage area behind it.
DSC03800 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC03801 (300 x 225).jpg
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 19:53 by Stree »

Stree

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2009, 23:15 »
The window took some working out, interesting joints to make and some angles and arcs to work out........... Perspex is ordered for the stable door and the fanlight window, going to be 5mm thick, cost  cut to size and delivered is about 20 quid.

Frame is fixed to the base and partly to the wall. All pretty square and plumb and level. The frame sections are routed out to take the perspex and a glazing bead, its treated timber so its ok outside as it is, but it will get the same green treatment as the rest soon.
The drainpipe is only temporary, I am going to reposition the running outlet inside the wall and run it out to the side ( right side  as you look at the building) and it will feed a row of linked waterbutts. Big roof and easily fills a large waterbutt overnight with a decent showery night.. The electric submerged pump to feed it into the greenhouse.Got the butts and the pump, just need the time to do it all !
The sideways shots give an idea of the size that will be available inside. its tall, but not huge, 8 foot to the top of the brickwork, 11 foot wide and 6 foot deep plus another 2 foot where the doors are going at the front.  Getting there slowly.
DSC03802 (400 x 300).jpg
DSC03804 (300 x 225).jpg
DSC03803 (400 x 300).jpg
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 00:20 by Stree »

mark.carline

• Experienced Member
    • Photo Album
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2009, 09:30 »
its amazing - keep at it !

I did something like this with a summer house a few years ago and found it very hard work once I started the roof.  I did find it amazing how much I was able to get done if you get in a couple of nights during the week (6pm to 8pm).
"I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."

Stree

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2009, 10:09 »
Thanks for the kind and positive comment Mrk, much appreciated !

Yes, I expect the roof to be  a bit tricky, but I have an idea or two. As per the rest I will make it up as I go along. Necessity is the mother of invention and ad hoc roofing!

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 09:08 »
Very impressive stree! Particulary impressed with your joinery. My skills begin and end with old pallets and my brad nail gun...

amc

Lardman

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 18:09 »
Im following this avidly too.  :D

Im guessing your workshop is slightly better equipped than my shed.

How are you planning on joining the wooden frame to dwarf wall - I'd be concerned about creating a flat spot that would collect water. I can't see from the pictures have you built sills at the bottom to deflect the water beyond the wall ?

Stree

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2009, 22:40 »
Firstly, Thanks AMC for you  points about the woodwork, I do have some experience and enjoy doing it and its nice to get chance to do some for myself.
Never had much luck myself with pallets, I find it hard to get enthusiastic when the quality of the timber is so iffy as it is on most palletts. Apart from one I got from China which as a wonderful red Cedar wich is scentd and fine grained. Probably plane that up and make a cabinet from that one but the rest usually get put on the woodburner.

Lardman, I had no idea I had an avid follower ! Sometimes I think I am posting and nobody is looking at all !  Then a bunch of nice comments like this ! Thank you.
Your question about the frame to the dwarf wall.
Right: The bricks are 4" commons, the frame timber is 2"x2", so an inch of brick work is left either side of the timber when the frame is on. The frame is fastened with wall plugs and 3" screws to the horizontal members and 4" to the verticals.. These will be sealed with framing mastic.
The cill is to be fixed to the outer face afterwards, from treated timber again, but shaped so it has a chamfer and a drip  groove underneath. The cill will be about 1 1/2" high ( thick) and about 2 1/2" wide, so it will overhang the brickwork by about 1 1/2".
This will be fastened like a weatherbar is fastened to an external door, screwed through from the inside..... This means that if the cill ever needs replacing then the frame is left and the cill is just removed and new cill refixed. If it was sat on a cill then that would be a messy replacement job.
It also means that the 1" brickwork left inside the frame can be used for staging to sit on which will assist greatly is getting a positive fix rather than having it freestanding.
Hope thats clear enough ! Easier to explain it when you are stood next to it !

As for my workshop, it will be 2 yrs come 14th August since I inherited it, it was a damp dismal mess. New roof ( I mentioned earlier) had to go on, new electric feed  to it and total rewire. and being about 175 feet from the house meant a lot of armoured cable !.
its a lot better now, I will try and get a pic or two to show  what I have done with it.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 22:56 by Stree »

Stree

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2009, 23:02 »
hopefully 2 pics. a workshop when we moved here August 14th 07 and as it was lately. not taken a pic in there for a few months but its moved on a bit more.....But still lots to do....
damp shed.jpg
dry shed.jpg

xx
building a lean-to greenhouse to fight slugs

Started by Superhero on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 21:35
by Superhero
xx
Lots of questions on building a 'wee' lean to

Started by elrosco on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 07:14
by arugula
xx
Lean to greenhouse

Started by dobo on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 17:01
by Stree
xx
Lean to Greenhouse

Started by digital_biscuit on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 15:33
by digital_biscuit

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 32 queries.