Building a lean-to greenhouse

• 74 Replies

Stree

Re: Building a lean-to greenhouse
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 00:21 »
If you do use CLS then try and get the type that is stamped C16 or C24m this is a construction grading and ensures its decent stuff.
If its for outside get pre treated........
Be aware that some cheap "CLS" is from far east or vague eastern european sources and is very inferior, same applies to scant........
Explanation from afaik is as near as one can get.......Thanks for that

2peasinapod

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 00:32 »
afaik =
as
far
as
i
know

2peasinapod =
mark (me)
and tracy.
dont permissum dandelions frendo vos down.

If it cant be pulled by hand,
1; its not ready
2; use a landrover...

Stree

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 08:37 »
wwdyjtiitfp

Well
why
didn`t
you
just
type
it
in
the
first
place?

Bombers

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 17:30 »
FYI

For
Your
Interest....

CLS = Canadian Lumber stock. generally available  in 38x63/94mm ( 1 1/2" x 2 1/2") finished sizes. (planed finish)
Scant = 1/4" scant finished size 44x69mm (1 3/4" x 2 3/4")sawn finish.

All above are usually supplied in 2.4/4.8m  (8/16Ft) lengths.

IMHO

In
My
Humble
Opinion...

It's worth spending the extra on some joinery grade Redwood, if you can afford it.! ;)

Bom

Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Yabba

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 18:15 »
WTF :O

What
Thorough
Feedback

:angelic_look:

¥

Stree

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 01:21 »
Anyway. we digress, Back to building a lean to greenhouse. I will be using gravel on the floor of mine.... Any comments on this? Should I have a solid path down the middle or is gravel OK? Only growing one thing in the ground inside it and that a grapevine and I have a space reserved for that. a few breeze blocks wich will not be removed until the floor is done, then removed leaving a good area thats still natural soil.... I reckon the gravel will be easy to pick weeds up from and easy to hose down. Am I right? O know some have concrete bases and some have just soil. Pros and cons anyone?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 11:19 »
I think gravel is a problem if you are likely to walk on it with muddy shoes / boots - e.g. Winter time & heavy soil.

A solid floor allows damping down, to reduce temperature / increase humidity in summer.  Might be more weed-proof too.

I favour paving bricks as looking prettier.

Stree

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 13:59 »
Thanks Kristen, good points.
I will have a good think about this.
Might even run the block paving from the path up to the greenhouse to continue inside..

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 19:51 »
plan for mine is to have a central area with terracotta tiles so we can use it like a conservatory - cafe chairs and table plus pot plants.

But then I'm still at the clearing the site and digging foundations for the wall stage - have got the French Doors for the entrance though  :D
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

Stree

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 22:01 »
Right, time for an update on this:

It all came to a halt because I needed to get some new roofing on the building that the lean to is to lean against. It would be difficult to get to the gable end to reroof it after the greenhouse is put up.
Anyway, reroofed it last week, so on with the greenhouse.
If you remember from the pics  from before, the building ( my workshop) is a steel shed sat on a 2 foot block wall, which meant that the back wall of the greenhouse would be  old steel sheeting which is past its best.. so I decided to take off the steel sheet and skin it with plywood which could then be painted.
I went and bought the sheets yesterday, three 8X4 of OSB which is a cross between ply and chipboard, cheaper than ply and more robust than chipboard.......and then changed my mind......... The whole gable end right up to the roof will be dismantled and rebuilt with the same reclaimed bricks to match the greenhouse dwarf wall, not only that but a glazesddoor and sidelights built into the back wall so I can have a way through to the workshop and which will let light into that end of the workshop as well.
One reason behind the decision to have a door there is so that in winter it can be left open to get heat from the workshop, because my woodburner is only about 3 feet from the proposed doorway and it a decent output rated at 15KW . and in winter is left on overnight slow burn,
On the other hand, in summer I can open the door into the workshop and help to get cooling airflow through the greenhouse. Thats the theory anyway.
Another bonus of having a brick back wall as opposed to steel sheet or ply is that the mass of the brick will act as a heatsink, so even on a sunny winters day the heat will gain in the bricks and be released slowly overnight.
The roof of the greenhouse will be 8 foot to the eaves and another 2 foot plus up to the top wallplate, so I am going to get some auto vents from ebay, only £17 direct from China......
I am also working on getting   power into there from the workshop, a couple of exterior grade double sockets,  and a lighting ring in there as well.
and some speakers from the workshop hi fi as well ! Music is good for plants!
As for the  floor, I am going to extend the block paving from the garden path up to and inside the greenhouse......

As for the OSB I bought, it will not be wasted. I will build a new henhouse from it, and paint it with masonry paint inside and out ....... Just an experiment..

Deucecoup

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 21:24 »
How is it coming on??
We need more pics and a new update  :tongue2:

Stree

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 10:13 »
Thanks for the prompt Deucecoup!
 The bew roof is on, so work has begun again on the greenhouse part.
Some pics of work so far to follow.
 I was out this morning at 7 to strip the walls of the workshop ready for the brickie arriving at 8:30..Its 10 now and after some initial work with the Stojl saw for the new doorway and some confab on design etc ( make up as we go along basically) the first batch is now in the mixer.
 More later tonight when I can see what we have got done today. (and the pics.......)

Stree

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 22:42 »
Pic update:
DSC03426.jpg

Stree

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 23:08 »
Hm lots of pics, spent an hour trying to post them, its not having it so I give up. looks like no more pics from this project so looks like thread closed. Ah well.....
DSC03429.jpg

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 16:56 »
Hm lots of pics, spent an hour trying to post them, its not having it so I give up. looks like no more pics from this project so looks like thread closed. Ah well.....

You can only upload a total of 128K of pictures per message (I think) and your first picture was just over 50% of that and your second around 80% ... so you will either need to reduce the quality, to make them smaller; upload one picture per message; or upload the pictures to a Photo Site and then just link to them from here

xx
building a lean-to greenhouse to fight slugs

Started by Superhero on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 21:35
by Superhero
xx
Lots of questions on building a 'wee' lean to

Started by elrosco on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 07:14
by arugula
xx
Lean To Greenhouse

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

16 Replies
Last post January 13, 2011, 15:47
by Paul Plots
xx
Lean to Greenhouse

Started by digital_biscuit on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 15:33
by digital_biscuit

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 36 queries.