Comfrey in Garden Area

• 10 Replies

wcndave

Comfrey in Garden Area
« on: October 07, 2023, 13:52 »
Hi, I already have 4 comfrey plants growing in a space between allotment, road and compost heaps, and the allotment has a wall between it and the area (up to 1m deep in ground wall).

However I have four more plants, and I would like to plant along a fence, on the edge of my garden.  I am also trying to make my garden lawn area feel a bit more natural and not have severe edges.

There is a big pile of "good earth" in the middle from when I built the house, which now just looks like a mound in my law as I never did anything with it. That can be ignored.

I was thinking, can I just plant my comfrey say 60cm from the fence, along the side?  Will it eventually get into the neighbour (my sister in law)'s garden?  How fast does the whole root clump expand?  See the red dots on the image where I was thinking to plant them.

Also, if I do this, can I just plant straight into the turf, or do I need to completely dig out a strip along the fence?  I really want to get these planted before the snows come!
IMG_20231007_132108.jpg
IMG_20231007_132039.jpg

snowdrops

Re: Comfrey in Garden Area
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 17:14 »
Depends on what type of comfrey it is to be honest, Bocking 14 is the strain of comfrey recommended here in the uk as it has sterile seed. It will bulk up but is not as invasive as the other varieties. It is the seeds & subsequent seedlings that are a nuisance. If you don’t want it to escape into next door it might be worth putting a plastic barrier in on your side of the fence
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

wcndave

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 21:01 »
Depends on what type of comfrey it is to be honest, Bocking 14 is the strain of comfrey recommended here in the uk as it has sterile seed. It will bulk up but is not as invasive as the other varieties. It is the seeds & subsequent seedlings that are a nuisance. If you don’t want it to escape into next door it might be worth putting a plastic barrier in on your side of the fence

Sorry, I thought everyone was using Bocking 14!  Yes, that's what I have, however I don't really want it to encroach massively in to my garden either, from the border.  Not if it's going to be impossible to remove.

However, if the root block is getting slightly bigger over time, in the way that Rhubarb does, then it's probably no problem.

wcndave

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 10:59 »
Sorry, just wanted to close this one out, when you say "not as invasive", what we we talking about there.
For example, if I have one plant that in year 1 is taking up about a 1m diameter circle, what would I expect after 10 years?  2m? or 10m?

Also I think I should just be able to plant into the grass directly, however there might be a good reason not to!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 15:43 »
It does not produce seeds but can spread if it’s roots are disturbed.

wcndave

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 20:13 »

Right, so I guess my question is, if I just plant it around edge of lawn, nearish to a fence, and simply harvest it, does that count as disturbing, and how much is it likely to spread over a longish period of time?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 20:20 »
It won’t spread much if the roots are not disturb the roots.

cc

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 10:49 »

Right, so I guess my question is, if I just plant it around edge of lawn, nearish to a fence, and simply harvest it, does that count as disturbing, and how much is it likely to spread over a longish period of time?
It doesn't spread as such but looking at your previous posts I assume you mean grow wide enough to lean through the fence that borders your neighbour.
To stop that happening plant it far enough away so it doesn't. Or
Trim the leaves on the side near your neighbour.
Or harvest early. I find one lot of mine tends to fall over if I leave it long enough. Due to its location I always get two crops out of it. The second crop  tends to lean out further.

wcndave

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 14:37 »
It doesn't spread as such but looking at your previous posts I assume you mean grow wide enough to lean through the fence that borders your neighbour.
To stop that happening plant it far enough away so it doesn't. Or
Trim the leaves on the side near your neighbour.
Or harvest early. I find one lot of mine tends to fall over if I leave it long enough. Due to its location I always get two crops out of it. The second crop  tends to lean out further.

I am not too worried about it leaning on fence, that's my sister-in-law's garden, so it's all friendly - well - mostly...

We had a patch of horseradish, and I did nothing with it, and after a couple of years it had tripled the area it had taken over, and was really a massive pain to get out... Same with some Tansy that was left here.

It sounds like the comfrey will bulk, but not really spread, so I shall proceed as planned.  Thanks all!

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 19:52 »
No reason not to plant directly into the grass either as it will kill it around the plant eventually I would think as it stops the light

wcndave

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 11:18 »
No reason not to plant directly into the grass either as it will kill it around the plant eventually I would think as it stops the light
That felt likely the case, however I read a bit about making sure you "clear an area", so just checking.... It's gonna be somewhat wild anyway!

xx
making the most of small garden area

Started by doodledo on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 17, 2011, 15:35
by Trillium
xx
New Garden, Raised Beds, Greenhouse and Allotment area - where do I start !

Started by lowermeadow on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 09:38
by John
xx
Blight in the area

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2008, 21:12
by Michael D
xx
My growing area

Started by Mosslane on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 20:56
by Mosslane

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 42 queries.