Ground covered to kill weeds.

• 9 Replies

omits

Ground covered to kill weeds.
« on: March 29, 2018, 15:46 »
Have a new (old) plot which I am too old to dig so have covered it with dense black plastic. It's killing the weeds slowly as far as I can see. I want to grow something on top of this covering and intend to cut some small slits and put in cucumbers and courgettes. I would also like to grow some melon fruits and wondered what others might suggest and where I could get the seeds. I intend that these plants will completely cover the ground with no ongoing maintenance and I will consume as much as I can and compost the rest.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks. PS. I live in the south, Dorset.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 15:48 by omits »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Ground covered to kill weeds.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 16:12 »
It would be difficult to grow anything through solid black plastic as no rainwater would get through, and worms etc wouldn't do very well under it. You'd have to supply all the a water each plant would need throughout the growing season, much like growing in a pot, except much of what you supply would just soak away, rather than stay available to the plant. Could you set up a drip system from a water butt?

That's why people use weed control fabric which allows water through. I use it over the top of a cardboard layer to exclude light to completely to kill weeds, and the worms love it.

Assuming you can sort out the watering winter squash and pumpkins also work well through plastic.
You mention no ongoing maintenance, but unless you have added compost/manure under the plastic, I think you'd need to feed any plants in order to get a good crop. Adding liquid fertiliser to the water would be enough - but it is still something that has to be done regularly.

omits

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 16:29 »
Thanks, I have looked under the plastic and in fact the soil is still moist. I guess the weeds that are decomposing (I hope!) will add a bit of nutrient. If I cut a slit big enough rain will get in but I agree a feed will maximise the crop. I have ground control in my fruit cage now because it was literally covered in bind weed. Over the fabric I have put 2" of bark but left a soil area around the plants of about a foot.

Still wondering about what Melons I could grow.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 17:39 »
I've never ever managed to grow any - so no good asking me  ::)

omits

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 17:53 »
Sure, anyone?

Longshanks

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 19:02 »
I just took over another half plot and wanted to build a seed bed. I didn't want to dig it all over, so used my strimmer on the grassy bits to cut a section right back. I then covered with  weed membrane, then well rotted manure from the stables, then mixed in some compost from B&Q.  I then planted seeds for collies, leeks and cabbages I think. I made a netted tunnel, but as it has been so wet and cold, I've made it into a polytunnel for now.  Just trying things out.

omits

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 21:33 »
I just took over another half plot...  Just trying things out.
I have also done that and made little holes in the fabric and stuck some Broad Beans in. One is poking up now so need to coax it through the small hole. hopeful it will mature OK at the same time keep the weeds down. I have also put manure underneath and trodden it all down. Wonder if that couch and bind weed will be killed off or will it grow again when I remove the ground cover!

Christine

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 08:07 »
I suspect that it will grow again. I fear that nasty measures like weed killer spray may be required if you have a bad infestation and certainly much digging to get rid of the roots.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 17:19 »
If you leave it down long enough (a couple of years rather than months), it will eventually kill off most of the weeds, although some will probably still find their way through any holes in the plastic.

I'd suggest that you take the plastic up for the winter, otherwise there is a risk as others have said that air and water won't get to it, and the soil will become stale or anaerobic (you'll lose all the worms and good bacteria).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

omits

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 17:37 »
Good points thanks. Form my vine infested fruit cage I have removed all the bushes and dug 60cm holes down below observable weed roots. Then I have lined the holes with fabric and then covered the whole plot with cardboard and then fabric. The holes are then filled with manured soil and the bushes returned. The I have covered the area with bark except the holes of course as it's acidic. Fingers crossed. Actually for the other plot where I grow veg I am going to make small holes in the plastic or fabric (under which by the way I have put manure) and literally cover the area with things like squash, cucumber, and the usual. Like you say I will remove it in the winter.

xx
Covered ground question

Started by PaulE on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 12:29
by Fatfingers
xx
potatoes for clearing weed covered ground?

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 16:02
by DD.
xx
Will 'Roundup' kill weeds .. now it's near the end of October

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 30, 2014, 11:03
by Salmo
xx
Home made weed killers to kill ground elder ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 22:15
by DD.

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 32 queries.