Last seasons chilli plant

• 15 Replies

hubballi

Last seasons chilli plant
« on: February 05, 2013, 11:13 »
I still have last seasons chilli plant growing in the kitchen which is now very tall. Is it worth me keeping it going for this season or will it not crop again ?

Ta.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Last seasons chilli plant
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 11:26 »
Give it a bit of a prune - it will carry on fruiting  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 11:35 »
My cayenne peppers are now into their third year - I chopped them down to about 9" in late autumn and they are now flowering again.
The previous year I repotted them but I think I'll just leave them to it this year apart from the occasional liquid tomato feed.

Can't speak for all chillies but I think most if not all are perennial if grown in suitable conditions (i.e. indoors in this country.)
Might have to "recycle" them after this year rather than push my luck, although then again......... :unsure:

How long has anyone else kept their chilli plants going productively?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

claytonia

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:04 »
Dam, my other half threw ours out thinking they were only around for a year! Got to starte again this year then!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:30 »
Mine are looking very very dead - chopped them down to 9in, watered sparsely as per instructions in the interweb, but the leaves have all died and the stems have gone woody and dry. Is it likely I've killed them, or are they about to pull off a Lazarus?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:34 »
Some are easier to keep going than others.

I have had a lot of success with cayenne types and scotch bonnets, but not with some other sorts.

That's not to say no-one could, just that I haven't  ;)

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:37 »
Mine are looking very very dead - chopped them down to 9in, watered sparsely as per instructions in the interweb, but the leaves have all died and the stems have gone woody and dry. Is it likely I've killed them, or are they about to pull off a Lazarus?

Sound somewhat dead to me - were they in your house or in a greenhouse? (the latter would be far too cold I suspect.)

hubballi

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 13:07 »
I even have a tomato side shoot in the same pot from last season which is still alive.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 13:28 »

Sound somewhat dead to me - were they in your house or in a greenhouse? (the latter would be far too cold I suspect.)

They were in my house. In hindsight perhaps I should have left the upper branches on till stronger re-growth started happening this year. They were doing fine till then...I have saved seed so it's not too bad - though they were an F1 and I now realise this might give me erratic results. Worth go though!

hubballi

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 13:49 »
It's a bit like my rubbish small kale, beetroot and chard plants from last year. New leaves are coming up so I may as well harvest them for salad ?

bravemurphy

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 13:56 »
Mine was ok till last week (kept in the house) then noticed some leaves drying out.

The next day i noticed the main stem going black and all the leaves above were daed so cut it to below the blackness and just got me fingers crossed now .

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 14:08 »
I overwintered 2 habaneros this year in a spare bedroom. I don't bother with my Superchillis because they grow on very fast from seed, but the habaneros need a longer season to ripen fruit. One of them looks dead but the other looks healthy and is putting off new growth. I did chop them back at the start of winter but didn't repot. I'll do that this spring so they've got new compost to give them a kick start. But I do hate bringing them in the house because they're always instantly smothered in those horrible little flies and associated stickiness.

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 16:05 »
             Apparently there are 5 types of Capsicum .

Depending on which type you have ,some are easier to overwinter then others .

I grew chillis two years ago, then threw them away when they had finished fruiting.

Last year I grew 6 varieties , and have 17 plants in the bedroom , cut down to 6-9 inches

with just the stem.

I am hoping that they will have a good kickstart to the season and produce a better crop

this year .If  they survive this year and are a success I will do the same next year.

ThatsNice

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 16:43 »
I overwintered 2 habaneros this year in a spare bedroom.........I do hate bringing them in the house because they're always instantly smothered in those horrible little flies and associated stickiness.

I grew chillies on my kitchen windowsill a couple of years back and had this. I take it this is really common then having them indoors? Is there any way of stopping the white fly things?
My Diary Blog : The Journey from Jungle to ......

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101088.0 

viettaclark

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 19:45 »
The white fly love the new leaves and leave a sticky residue. I get them on my over-wintering chillis on the window sill.
A few spiders have moved in but that's a bit TOO organic for my livingroom so I've resorted to Provado ultimate bug killer.
Not too worried as I've only got a few leaves at the moment but I'll stop it if any flowers bud up before they go outside.

xx
Chilli plant...

Started by Jemsk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 05, 2007, 22:40
by agapanthus
xx
Tomatoes and chilli plant's?

Started by twissle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 08:26
by Davenports
xx
chilli plant suckers

Started by massa on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 11:23
by prakash_mib
xx
Chilli plant - First bug attack!

Started by cudders on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 14:00
by cudders

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 30 queries.