Fruit trees in pots?

• 5 Replies

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
Fruit trees in pots?
« on: October 31, 2008, 17:28 »
Have just bought some cheap fruit trees and am wondering if they will survive the winter/are able to grow in pots?

Thanks,
L.x

woodburner

Fruit trees in pots?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 18:34 »
Planting them out now give them a chance to develop their roots before the spring. ;)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

paintedlady

Fruit trees in pots?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 18:54 »
:roll: Most trees will be dormant over winter, so if there is any root growth, it will be very little until early spring.  I see no harm in planting them in fairly big pots & are free draining (but watch, there is a risk of frost & ice damage - move the pots nearer the house to reduce this if you can, and consider putting some bubble wrap round the pot base too), but the upside is that they won't be sitting in very wet soil conditions which can result in rot.

Come late winter/early spring, you really should be looking at a more permanent planting place so that they do not get get disturbed when flower buds open  :wink:  

Dwarf & semi-dwarf root stock can be grown in pots, but they can require high maintenance - you really do not want them to be ever short of water, and they can get top heavy & topple over in high winds (not such a problem when they have shed their leaves)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
Fruit trees in pots?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 14:24 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
Planting them out now give them a chance to develop their roots before the spring. ;)

Yeah, but then I'll have to dig them up again when I move in June...

Thanks painted lady, hope that will work...will go buy some pots and bubble wrap and hope for the best. They were only cheap so if they die I haven't lost much!

L.x.

chrissie B

Fruit trees in pots?
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 12:13 »
we always plant trees and roses this end of the year as they get plenty of rain over the winter seems to work for us , looking forward to getting my Albanian lemon tree in  the new year , im told they are just like eating oranges and they are big as well .
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

muntjac

Fruit trees in pots?
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 04:05 »
bang em in the biggest pot ya'll can handle and then put em in the ground come spring when the ground warms up  :wink:
still alive /............

xx
Fruit trees in pots

Started by Coop-a-Cabana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 11:59
by sunshineband
xx
Fruit trees in pots

Started by Poolman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 21:49
by sunshineband
xx
Growing fruit trees in pots

Started by Oddpod on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 02, 2017, 14:15
by I Love Spuds
xx
Successful growing of fruit trees in pots advice please!

Started by Annad83 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2015, 13:23
by Kristen

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 28 queries.