calendula

• 10 Replies

ceri green

• Experienced Member
calendula
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:16 »
I've read about planting calendula (marigolds the old fashioned type) around the veg plot as a kind of pest control....does it work and what pests is it good for control? has anyone tried it? lastly, i have been looking for seeds but can only find the african or french type of pom pom marigolds - if I can't find the real old fashioned ones, will these do the job in the same way?

any thoughts appreciated!

peterjf

Re: calendula
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:28 »
wilkos has plenty in their shops

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 02:13 »
It deters a few pests, but not really that many. I wouldn't put my faith in it. However, bees adore marigolds, particularly the older single varieties and this will greatly help your crop pollination so by all means plant lots around your plots. Pot Marigold for calendula is a misnomer really, they don't do a thing against pests, but the petals make great herbal tea and hand cream and will attract butterflies and bees as well as look nice.

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:15 »
Tagetes - French Marigolds - like "Ground Control" are better as pest repellents particularly in a greenhouse. Calendulas are most useful for attracting beneficial insects.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

diggerjoe

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:01 »
I grow them as a border at the front of  the plot basically because they look nice and I get loads of bees and also so people know where the edge of my plot is and do not drive off the edge into my plot when reversing down the track :mad:

Debz

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:17 »
I used tagetes as pest control through my cabbages one year because I understand the smell puts off pests.  They were beautiful to look at in flower and they tended to get eaten instead of the cabbages.

poppies

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 11:52 »
Tagetes - French Marigolds - like "Ground Control" are better as pest repellents particularly in a greenhouse. Calendulas are most useful for attracting beneficial insects.

I grow these in the greenhouse around the tomatoes  and dont get any whitefly in there

Trikidiki

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 00:07 »
I had a huge whitefly problem in one of my greenhouses two years ago. Last year I planted Tagetes in the borders and had no problem at all. May be a coincidence, but guess what I'm planting in the greenhouses this year (cheaper and much more decorative than 'yellow sticky pads'.

Mark-S

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 20:49 »
Remember that Weeds are plants growing in the wrong place at the wrong time......if calendulas seeds it is very hardy.
its nice to be important, but it more important to be nice......

chrissie B

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 14:01 »
ive found it does help a little but the slugs and snails are quite partal to them , i love them and have them all over the place they cheere me up .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 17:08 »

I grow these in the greenhouse around the tomatoes  and dont get any whitefly in there
Me too - I usually have 5 plants per 3 toms - and it WORKS...!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 36 queries.