Different garlic varieties

• 3 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Different garlic varieties
« on: April 02, 2011, 12:05 »
This year I'm trying some new garlic varieties instead of doing boring old Solent Wight yet again, so I went with Iberian Wight and Marco. I planted both last autumn, and back in the winter I was beginnging to think Iberian Wight was a non-starter because all of the Marco cloves came straight up and grew tall before winter set in, but most of the Iberian never came up at all and the ones that did were very small and feeble. Now the spring has come along, all of a sudden the Iberian has shot up and is now the same height as the Marco but looks considerably stronger.

Both varieties said on the pack they were suitable for autumn planting, but I'm now beginning to wonder if that's true and whether perhaps the Iberian is more for spring planting. Certainly being planted early hasn't done it any harm, but there doesn't seem much point if it's not going to grow until the spring. If the thickness and strength of the stems are anything to go by, they're going to produce some very big bulbs.

Has anyone else grown Iberian Wight? Does it always behave this way, and is it better planted in the spring?

compostqueen

Re: Different garlic varieties
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 14:42 »
With onions, some are for spring and some for autumn. Best of both worlds and planting twice means you get a better chance of harvesting more bulbs if we get some dodgy weather  :D  "Boring" Solent Wight!  I don't think so!  It is very strong tasting indeed

The Iberian Wight is for autumn planting and harvesting in June. 

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 12:03 »
Sounds to me like it was busy growing roots instead of foliage over winter to make it big and strong now!

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 12:16 »
I planted Iberian Wight at the end of October, and it all came up reasonably well, but once the weather warmed up, it really rocketed, and now it's looking very strong and healthy.

xx
garlic varieties

Started by Trillium on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 16:24
by Sally A
xx
Garlic varieties autumn planting

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post October 18, 2017, 09:00
by missmoneypenny
xx
Pea varieties

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 15:18
by Yorkie
xx
Which Varieties???

Started by Bethslosttheplot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 12:15
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 28 queries.