hands off our chickens

• 1 Replies

chickeh jools

hands off our chickens
« on: June 22, 2008, 15:57 »
having had an allotment for four years we decided to take the plunge and get some chooks. after lots of research, and lots of patience waiting for  the grass to grow on their run, we eventually brought our "babies" home.
they are a constant source of pleasure to us,(my house is a tip, and the kids make their own meals!)  so i have tried to encourage friends to do the same. unfortunately, at our monthly allotment meeting we have discovered to our horror, that plots soon to be vacated are to be split and earmarked "garden only"  does anyonr know if they are allowed to do this, as this hasnt come from the council who own the allotments, but from the allotment "commitee"  is it right to deny any future plotholder the chance to benefit from keeping chickens, as i was under the impression that our allotment was for provision of food, what better food than your own eggs, and fresh chicken that have enjoyed a happy life. they already managed to dispense with most of the pigeon owners, will chickens be next on their hit list? :cherry:

blossom1044

hands off our chickens
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 13:50 »
Very mean!  

I don't know if they can or can't do this, but what a shame!  If the chickens are kept in secure areas and not harming anyone, I can't see the objection.  I think some people see Avian Flu and then a chicken and overract.  (my personal opinion).  It might just be down to that old abbage that people see allotments as vegetables not live stock orientated.

I look at new houses being built in my town and the size of their gardens wouldn't be enough room to put a pot plant never mind a chicken coup.  Therefore if alloment committes are deciding to change the use of their plots how can people enjoy chickens.  Ok not everyone is as chicken besotted as us, but still.....

My parents have purchased 1 acre of alloment land a few years back.  the owner died and no one was using theirs.  the local residents all signed over their rights of access for the land to my parents as they didn't want it.  My parents have 1 pig and 10 chickens on it.  1 neighbour has complained that it isn't being used for allotment (real snotty moo she is).  MY Dad told him where to stick it.  Neighbour complained to local town council.  the neighbour was told that the allotment land was designated as private agricultural land and therefore could be used for livestock/vegetables etc.  Though when my Dad had the land registered with the deeds to their house he specified its use.

I am not being very helpful.  I am sure there are others who can be more helpful.
new to hens
Thanks
T

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
chickens

Started by Blackers on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 16:13
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 35 queries.