Not a good sign.....

• 11 Replies

strudelpoodle

Not a good sign.....
« on: June 25, 2011, 18:49 »
I've just removed the spark plug from my Honda F400 rotavator only to find that there's a lot of corrosion around the business end (the machine has sat in a dry shed unused for the past 30 years) and when I try to pull the pull-start cord it won't budge -feels like the piston is locked solid. 

My question is what do I do next?  Is it worth squirting penetrating oil into the cylinder and leaving it to stand for a day to see if that frees it?  If that doesn't work do I remove the cylinder head next or take it straight to the dump?

Steve

Flatcat

Re: Not a good sign.....
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 20:32 »
Noo whatever you do don't dump it!!!

I must say it doesn't sound good. I'd remove the cylinder head to see what's going on inside.

Damon

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 21:30 »
a bit of diesel down plug hole leave for 24 hrs then try and if you can a spanner on the shaft rather than using the pull start
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 21:54 »
Nah don't give up on her. She probably just needs some tlc.
Soak her with diesel or penetrating oil for a day or two and try to rock the piston/s back and forth. Is what I'd do.
Then sit back and wait for Gwiz to reply ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

strudelpoodle

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 22:55 »
Thanks all, I'll give the diesel a try.

Gwiz

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 06:50 »
Diesels a good idea, so to is WD40 or the equivalent that can be bought in a bottle rather than an aerosol.
I expect that the engine stopped turning on the inlet or exhaust stroke so that either valve was open allowing damp air to penetrate the engine over time, and rust the piston rings and/or the valves/rockers.
Be very careful when trying to get the engine turning again, gentle force rather than brute strength is needed here, and as Richyrich says, a gentle backwards and forwards motion. If all goes well (depending on the level of corrosion) you won't need to do too much to get it going, but keep us informed of how you get on. :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:55 »

Don't give up.  I bought a cylinder (sidevalve) for my vintage motorcycle.  It was in a bath of penetrating oil for 18 monthsbefore the cast iron piston finally decided to move !

The autojumble stallholder didn't know there was a piston inside the cylinder !  Bargain at £20:00.  On the overhaul this winter, I'll swop the ally piston for the cast iron job,  may reduce a bit of vibration I've got.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

strudelpoodle

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 18:54 »
a bit of diesel down plug hole leave for 24 hrs then try and if you can a spanner on the shaft rather than using the pull start

Lazydog -the shaft that I believe is the output from the engine has a pulley on it with a small nut screwed into the shaft end.  I'm loath to apply a spanner to this because I'm sure I'll just shear it off.  I agree it needs a spanner applied to get more force into my attempts to turn it over but where else can I apply it to?

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 20:01 »
a bit of diesel soaking, and it will be fine :D  mine went first pull oday an has been abandoned for 6 mths or more
always have a target
and an objective.

smud6ie

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 12:24 »

Lazydog -the shaft that I believe is the output from the engine has a pulley on it with a small nut screwed into the shaft end.  I'm loath to apply a spanner to this because I'm sure I'll just shear it off.  I agree it needs a spanner applied to get more force into my attempts to turn it over but where else can I apply it to?

If you use to much force before the diesel / penetrating oil has had a chance to work the more chance you have of breaking the piston rings ,softly softly and all that.

smud6ie

strudelpoodle

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 14:26 »
Its freed up now, thanks for the advice (diesel soak, patience and a gentle tap with a hammer on block of wood onto top of piston) -its all worked.  Just waiting on a new head gasket before I try to run it.

strudelpoodle

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 12:53 »
Success!  My Honda F400 is running and sounds as sweet as a nut.  Today it rotovated its first patch of ground in 30 years!

xx
is this any good

Started by freyaluck on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 16, 2007, 17:04
by Gwiz
xx
a good buy here

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post October 05, 2007, 20:50
by shaun
xx
Any good ?

Started by Rangerkris on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 19:02
by Caltrad
xx
Wormeries - Any good??

Started by Runwell-Steve on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 01:53
by Trillium

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 28 queries.