parsnips in loo rolls

• 14 Replies

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
parsnips in loo rolls
« on: March 13, 2013, 21:28 »
Hi

I am planning to grow my parsnips in loo rolls - I have the loo rolls all set up ready to go, my question is when is the best time to plant the seeds and should you plant a couple per loo roll and thin out later??  Do they stay in the unheated greenhouse or should they be outside??

I only got 3 out of 24 parsnips last year so I thought I would give this a go  :)

cheers Lulu
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

bravemurphy

Re: parsnips in loo rolls
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 21:35 »
I did mine a month ago and they are now ready to go out i germenated them in the house 2 per pot and as soon as they came they went out to the greenhouse.

So i would say now is a good time in an unheated greenhouse a couple per pot.

Its suprising how hot it gets in the greenhouse even today with the sun on it, it got 25C.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 21:53 »
bravemurphy - These pots - what sort are they and how deep?

If they're rigid ones and you have to take the parsnips out of them, you've got problems trying not to cause damage to the roots. If they've been in pots for a month could could well have problems with the tap root hitting the bottom, no matter what they're made of.

My seed are still in the packet and will remain so for another month, they will then get sown direct, a pinch of seed every 8", then thinned out.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 23:18 »
I start mine in the cold greenhouse in 8 inch deep paper pots ;)

Byy the time they have germinated and the 2nd leaf is opening - the tap root has just reached the bottom of the pot and they need planting out immediately, or they will fork.

I haven't sown any yet - and won't until April or even May :)
It's easy to grow huge parsnips that are too woody to eat when you sow them early, and that's not what I want  :nowink:

bravemurphy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 07:56 »
Most of the pots are kitchen roll tubes cut a bit longer than loo rolls and some loo rolls too.

I check one or two daily and as of yet there are no signs of the tap root i have got polythene over the ground where they are to go and cloches ready when i put them out first week of easter (if needed).
I am hoping i can take a few to the local show in the summer.

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:02 »
I've sown carrots and parsnips in newspaper tubes (approx 300 I'd guess). I put them in the cold frame cupboard about a month ago. Not a sign of greenage yet although I know parsnips are slow germinators. Probably should of stuck them in the conservatory for 2 or 3 weeks to aid germination, but there is no room at the inn now with other stuff on the windowsills so they are staying where they are for a few more weeks before being planted out regardless.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:07 »
I sow mine direct in February usually, not this year, in ground I de-stoned. They grow straight and true and are the talk of the allotments.

Lulu

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 19:16 »
Well I took the plunge and put seeds per loo roll ( in the greenhouse) but that leaves me loads of seed to plant direct if they fail.  I usually plant them directly in April so this will interesting to see what happens.

thanks for the contribution everyone

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 06:43 »
I start mine in the cold greenhouse in 8 inch deep paper pots ;)

Byy the time they have germinated and the 2nd leaf is opening - the tap root has just reached the bottom of the pot and they need planting out immediately, or they will fork.

I haven't sown any yet - and won't until April or even May :)
It's easy to grow huge parsnips that are too woody to eat when you sow them early, and that's not what I want  :nowink:

Agree with everything you say, Mums!

Last year's parsnips (there are still about 20), are just huge, and they were sown in paper pots and planted out in early spring, just as the seed leaves were noticed - any later, and the tap root gets bashed and you get a squonky root.

This year, we'll sow them direct much later, and much closer together, as digging two-foot of root out in winter is not my idea of a seaside trip...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 09:04 »
Parsnips - soil temp/days to germination: 0C/172, 5C/57, 10C/27, 15C/19

Current soil temperature (where I live) = 2C  ;)

That's why I usually sow towards the end of April, and still expect to wait up to four weeks before they emerge.

I use the same technique as DD, although I do trowel out the soil at the sowing stations, sieve the stones out, and replace. Never been disappointed with the results, and even got year-old seed to germinate satisfactorily, although I certainly wouldn't push my luck beyond a year.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 17:06 »
Having been using 6" Richy pots for 3 years, I have found that even then I was getting forking as they often disintegrated by the time they were ready to plant. So this year I am going to wait til April, dib holes and fill with spent compost (as much to give me a weed-free couple of inches as to give the nips and good start), and sow 2/station...

sav

Lulu

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 19:14 »
Will let you know how it goes  :)

Totty

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 11:42 »
I have sown 20 Loo tubes with Pinnacle, all germinated now and planted out in very deep bore holes. 20 more direct sown in holes the same size. See how it goes

Totty

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 19:19 »
Popped 18 paperpots with about three seeds each today!

Why not, it is getting late in the year and they'll be fine in a frst-free greenhouse...

If they don't work - hey - so what, we'l pop them in direct in a few weeks!

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 20:01 »
About half of mine have germinated so far in the cold greenhouse. I have some chitting in wet paper too and about half of those have sprouted so far.

xx
Parsnips in loo rolls

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 08:54
by Kristen
xx
Parsnips in bog rolls.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2013, 13:13
by GrannieAnnie
xx
parsnips in toilet rolls

Started by ecky on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 19:47
by ulsterfairy
xx
parsnips in toilet rolls

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 08:08
by lucywil

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 35 queries.