Potato space

• 5 Replies

Clarky86

Potato space
« on: January 28, 2018, 16:49 »
Afternoon everyone.....

I broke ground today on my new garden plot, it's been along time coming but I've started...... greenhouse will be ready to use in the next week or two also.

I'm taking the advised approach that when starting out little and often is the best policy otherwise it'll become a chore and I will lose interest.

I started with x2 6x2m sections dug over.
This is to accommodate the usual veg for me and the other half.

My question, obviously dependant on success and growing conditions.... How big an area and how many seed potatoes would do 2 people with a decent crop?
I understand the outcome has many varying factors but from experience of growers and what they've achieved in the past, an idea would be useful..

Many thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato space
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 17:13 »
First work out how many you eat :D
The harvest will vary with variety and you get less from earlies and more from maincrop, cos they're left in for longer. On average I think you should get 1kg per seed potato, that seems about right, though you could get more on very good soil.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 18:29 »
and then add in for a few more as those you grow yourself taste better than this from the local supermarket imho, plus some for feeding friends, who do seem to enjoy sharing our harvests  :nowink:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 19:39 »
Good advice so far. I've found over the last couple of years that we (that's two of us) don't eat as many new potatoes as I thought we did, so you start lifting a row as early as you can, and then your still lifting bigger ones when the 2nd earlies are ready. Alternatively, you lift the full row because you want to plant a follow on crop, and then the spuds start to sprout in store (although I've found Charlottes don't seem too liable for that).
We seem to catch up a bit when the main crops are ready. I think you'll find there is a fair bit of trial and error before you find what suits you best - assuming you get past the slugs, drought, floods and blight of course! Happy gardening!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 13:25 »
So my spud bed is as follows...

1 row Charlotte as new spuds, spaced @ 12 inches. Now here is the thing, like it has been mentioned we love our new spuds but get a bit tired of them, so what I do is once at the size I want (salad spud size) I chop the top growth off, they happily sit in in the ground for when we decide we want new spuds (dug the last plant in November and they were still good to eat).

For the mains we have 4 rows, this normally puts us on till around March the following year.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 10:18 »
Good advice so far. I've found over the last couple of years that we (that's two of us) don't eat as many new potatoes as I thought we did, so you start lifting a row as early as you can, and then your still lifting bigger ones when the 2nd earlies are ready. Alternatively, you lift the full row because you want to plant a follow on crop, and then the spuds start to sprout in store (although I've found Charlottes don't seem too liable for that).
We seem to catch up a bit when the main crops are ready. I think you'll find there is a fair bit of trial and error before you find what suits you best - assuming you get past the slugs, drought, floods and blight of course! Happy gardening!

That's certainly what I've found, easy to end up eating first earlies when the 2nd early/maincrop are ready. This year I've got 4 rocket for container growing and six Duke of York for outside, although they are big seed potatos, so may split them before planting. Got another 10 Maris Peer and when there finished I'll just buy supermarket spuds as for me the time/effort/space and battle with the slugs/blight is just not worth the disappointment.

xx
Need more space...

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2014, 16:31
by Christine
xx
Could I use this space better?

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 02:42
by Trillium
xx
What to do with the space I have???

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 22:44
by Yorkie
xx
better use of space?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 10:41
by woodburner

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 39 queries.