why do you plant toms into soil when you see the first truss of flowers?

• 12 Replies

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
I have very healthy plants that are probably a smidgen away from showing the first truss, but they really need moving on.

What is the reason for waiting until the first flower?
Liv.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Pass, I just plant mine when the weather is suitable, with no temperatures under 10C.
Doesn't seem to cause any problem :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
So do I.

Ice

• muck spreader
Never heard of waiting for the first truss to plant toms and I have been growing them for over ten years.
Cheese makes everything better.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
I've heard of it but just don't bother to do it:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Veg-A-to-Z/Tomatoes

Growing tab.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Never heard of waiting for the flower here too.  The only reason I could think of would be to support the weight of the fruit as the stem puts out more root matter, but thats only if it would also recommend planting up to the bottom leaves.  Or possibly to reduce feeding requirements for the first few weeks?

Anyway, its not a problem if you dont  :D

"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Miss Molly

I've never heard of this either  :unsure: The only rules i follow is plant in soil when too big for pot they're in and dont start feeding till first fruit has set i.e. you can see first little green tomato underneath flower.  Watched my mum growing tomatoes since i was toddler and these rules have always seen me right.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:37 by Aunt Sally »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Mums are ALWAYS right whitegollie  :D

Gandan57

Presumably if the plants are planted outside 8 weeks after sowing the seed that`s the stage of growth they will be at, just about to start flowering.

Some of mine are almost at that stage now, the first truss is just visible, but I`ll keep repotting them into larger pots for another few weeks. They went outside in a very sheltered spot today but back in at night.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

operabunny

• Experienced Member
I wait for the weather, not the flowers! always seems to work out fine!

Babstreefern

Never heard of that before.  When my toms are roughly 9 inches, give or take an inch or two, I just plant them into black flower buckets (the ones you get from Morrisons) and shove them in the greenhouse.  If it gets a bit nippy through the night, I make sure everything is closed up.  They thrive and when its really hot, as of the last the couple of weeks, I leave the doors and windows open all day and then shut them up in the evening after watering them.  I do the same with my cukes :D
Babs

snowdrops

I was reliably informed that you should keep them in 3" pots until the first flowers form as it will produce earlier fruit as it stresses the plant & so it tries to reproduce itself as that is what it is programmed to do.You can end up with straggly plants though before potting on but they soon thicken up once planted into final pots.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

muntjac

if my tom plants had flowers on then i would nip them off when planting,if they are forming truss then they aint forming roots or going for the roof trusses loike wot mine do ;)
still alive /............

xx
flowers on toms

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 23:56
by andy dewar
xx
toms and courgettes - loads of flowers but no fruit

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 22:42
by Hawthorne
xx
Greenhouse, soil for toms, Q's and Aubergines, advice please

Started by Alex 98 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 11:49
by Aidy
xx
flowers to plant with veg

Started by earthmother on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 21:08
by purplebean

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 37 queries.