'setting' broodies

• 4 Replies

treacleminer

'setting' broodies
« on: April 24, 2009, 17:37 »
Hi, I'm looking for some advice from someone with experience with broodies.

Both my light sussex girls have decided to go broody, at this stage I'm not sure how serious they are about it.  If however I decide to get hold of some hatching eggs, should I let both of them sit on a couple each, or can I just allow one of them to sit?  Will this cause WW3 to break out?  Would it be likely that I could break the non-sitting one of broodiness?  I will probably be setting up a seperate ark for them to brood in.

I chucked both of them off the nest boxes today to clean out the house & collect todays eggs - nearly deafened - I've never heard such a racket!!

Any advice much appreciated :)

Vember

Re: 'setting' broodies
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 20:07 »
If it were me I'd let one girlie do the sitting, but I know which of my girls are stayers and which aren't :)

Suppose it boils down to A) have you got the room to house both separately B) can you cope with out the eggs from both ???

I'd let them sit at least 4/5 days before buying any eggs in :)

Light sussex make great mum's though so I doubt it'll be a great problem getting them to stay put :D

Sarah :)

treacleminer

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 21:41 »
Thanks Sarah
I'll give them the weekend and see how they are getting on at the end of it. Hopefully one of them will be more serious than the other and the decision will be made for me! I would definately prefer to have at least one of them laying - my Mother loves to have any 'spare' fresh eggs :D

Janet

treacleminer

Re: 'setting' broodies - update
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 22:06 »
I've just put some eggies under no.2 hen (Jean) :D

No 1 broody (Gertie) did not take kindly to her new broody coop - but Jean seems to have settled down now.   I've just put 3 Silver laced wyandottes & 3 double laced barnevelder eggs under her, so everything now crossed & counting!!!

Thanks again for your suggestions Vember - really helped

Legbar

• UKChicken - all a UK back yard chicken keeper needs!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 23:08 »
If they're all from the same flock, they're not usually aggressive when sitting on eggs together. There's no harm in being cautious though  :)

xx
Broodies

Started by Fraggle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 22:52
by Cluckyclaire
xx
can you have 2 broodies together?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 14:07
by jobson336
xx
Too many broodies!

Started by Cabbie37 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 20:24
by mdueal
xx
Broodies and age ?

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 10:01
by Vember

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 28 queries.